Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2005, 12:59 AM

Default how shady is this?

so i log onto my sports betting site which is www.sportingbetusa.com. i see that they have tarver winning by decision at 17-1 odds. clearly this is wrong and someone there fed up. it should be 17-10. regardless thats what it said. so, of course i bet on it.

i am somewhat sketched about it so i check my "pending bets" periodically. the bet is still up as of 1030 eastern time. then, i go to the bar to watch the fight.

of course, when i get back, the bet has been classified as "no action" and my money is refunded.

it seems very shady to me that these sites can arbitrarily decide which bets to adhere to.
Old 10-02-2005, 01:03 AM

Default Re: how shady is this?

it's called 'terms and conditions', take a gander through them, see if you find anything you like

you knew you were betting on a false line, did you honestly expect to get paid? please....
Old 10-02-2005, 01:08 AM

Also, the respectable sites will void the bet even if you lose. I don't know about sportingbetusa.com though.

craig
Old 10-02-2005, 01:11 AM

how do i know the line is false?

last year, the colts where favored by 2 over the pats in that playoff game when it was snowing. that was a pretty asinine line as well. why was it not null.
Old 10-02-2005, 01:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

let me help you.

[ QUOTE ]
i see that they have tarver winning by decision at 17-1 odds. clearly this is wrong and someone there fed up. it should be 17-10. regardless thats what it said. so, of course i bet on it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-02-2005, 01:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

let me help you.

[ QUOTE ]
i see that they have tarver winning by decision at 17-1 odds. clearly this is wrong and someone there fed up. it should be 17-10. regardless thats what it said. so, of course i bet on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

so, somehow the site has brain wave tracking and knows my thoughts. amazing.
Old 10-02-2005, 01:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

let me help you.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

so, somehow the site has brain wave tracking and knows my thoughts. amazing.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have a problem with this, perhaps you should reconsider whether online sports wagering is for you.
Old 10-02-2005, 01:46 AM

In the betting industry this would be termed a 'palpable error', IE a price that is so far away from where the market is that it is obvious that one of the junior's putting the prices on their website has entered a decimal point in the wrong place, or has put the price for the wrong market up, IE put the price for a team to win the Super Bowl up in the market for an indivdual game etc. All bookmakers will have a clause in their rules to cover this, and it is disingenuous of you to expect them to stand a price they obviously never intended to offer (and you were well aware of this, and if you weren't you shouldn't be punting.) However, I would have expected them to settle your bet as a winner at the price of 17-10 that they had been intending to lay on that outcome. If they had realised the error some time prior to the event taking place then I would have expected them to contact you giving you the choice of whether to have the bet at 17-10 or to void the bet and letting you know what the default position would be should you not contact them prior to the off.
Old 10-02-2005, 02:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In the betting industry this would be termed a 'palpable error', IE a price that is so far away from where the market is that it is obvious that one of the junior's putting the prices on their website has entered a decimal point in the wrong place, or has put the price for the wrong market up, IE put the price for a team to win the Super Bowl up in the market for an indivdual game etc. All bookmakers will have a clause in their rules to cover this, and it is disingenuous of you to expect them to stand a price they obviously never intended to offer (and you were well aware of this, and if you weren't you shouldn't be punting.) However, I would have expected them to settle your bet as a winner at the price of 17-10 that they had been intending to lay on that outcome. If they had realised the error some time prior to the event taking place then I would have expected them to contact you giving you the choice of whether to have the bet at 17-10 or to void the bet and letting you know what the default position would be should you not contact them prior to the off.

[/ QUOTE ]

good response.

my other concern is that i am unsure of when they nullified the bet. if it was not until after the fight started then i would have concerns.
Old 10-02-2005, 02:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

good post, makes sense. but i dont think they should turn it into a 17-10 bet. the bettor didn't sign the dotted line for a 17-10 bet, so i dont think the site should have a 17-10 bet placed. i dont think the site can say "well that was what the line was supposed to be". it doesnt work like that.

OP didnt intend to place a bet on 17-10, he intended to place it on 17-1.