Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2003, 07:06 PM

Default Hand from $2-$5 Colorado Game

Just finished a session at the Hyatt in Blackhawk. Decent session for me. Thought I played pretty well except for this hand. Dont' hold back, let me have it.

Pretty loose game, not very aggressive. I'm in the cutoff. UTG +1 calls $2, MP calls, I call with K [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] and blind checks. Flop comes K [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] . Its checked around to me and I bet out. Blind calls, UTG +1 mucks and MP calls. Turn brings 4 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] . Checked around to me and I bet out again. Blind mucks and MP calls. River is a 7 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] . Checked to me. I bet and MP raises. I'm caught off guard and make a crying call.

I'll post the results, my thoughts during the hand and now in hindsight. Thanks for any "constructive criticism" which I know is well deserved. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-16-2003, 08:29 PM

Default Re: Hand from $2-$5 Colorado Game

there's alot of hands that beat you, but i think the pots too big to fold. i wouldnt reraise, just call assume im beat. see the cards and remember how he played it.

i assume he had 56?
Old 05-16-2003, 08:42 PM

First, the river can't be a 7 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] because you hold it in your hand. Second, your bet on the river is not that bad. There are a lot of hands with which he could have called. Yes, you will get reraised sometimes, but if you get called two times out of three when you hold the better hand, you make money.
Old 05-17-2003, 08:52 AM

My bad. You're right, the river was the 7 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] . Jaydoggie had it right, he turned over 56o and while he rolled it said, "the river kills, don't it"? I just smiled and said nice hand.

Except for his pre-flop call, which I thought was bad, he had the odds to draw to the straight. However, I thought his check-raise on the river was a bad play. Yes, it worked out and I paid off, but I contemplated checking down the river. If I did, he would have lost two bets.

As for my play, I thought I played pre-flop and the flop fine. I thought my turn bet was even ok. However, when he calls my turn bet, I really have to start thinking, what could he be playing. He's got to be on a draw. So, I think by river bet is bad. If I have him beat, what can he call with? Probably nothing, with the possible exception of maybe Kx (not paired with the board). In hindsight, I certainly did not give him credit for possibly having the straight.

I've got to remember people play any two cards in these low-limit games. In this game in particular, starting standards were very low for most. Certainly, any ace, suited or not was being played from any position as well as any king it seemed like.

Oh well, overall I thought I played the session well. Thanks for the comments!
Old 05-17-2003, 09:30 AM

Default Results posted in reply above. N/M

Old 05-17-2003, 09:48 AM

These guys will play anything in these low limits. Just keep playing good cards.
Old 05-17-2003, 02:35 PM

Apart from there being two seven of diamonds on the hand, I don't think that you played it poorly. You could certainly be behind on the river, but I think that with top two you have to call, and I think that there are a lot of worse hands that will call the river, so I think that you had a clear value bet.