Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2005, 08:19 PM

Default Strategy for maniac table

there's a somewhat daily small stakes 20 buck cash game that goes on around my city that is always full, FULL of maniacs. blinds are .25/.50, so the stacks start off really small in relation, causing crazy varience among the players.

I generally do well, but only slightly (i average 10-20 up with each session), and i was wondering what kind of strategy would be best to maximize profits as i'm sure that this kind of table applies to poker rooms all around. To give you some info to my situation specifically:

Certain hands are lucky, and pull people into the pot. Pre-flop: suited-almost-connectors-but-not-quite, Ace-anything suited, and any pocket pair are all game for either a big raise (4-6 times the big blind) or a limp/call-any-raise.

Pot odds is a term that's understood by people who really don't understand the term, let alone the proper application of it (for example, in a hand with UTG allin (5 bucks), UTG+1 and +2 call, MP announced "pot odd" and called off half his stack with 6s3s)

In general, everybody searches for a reason to get a look see at the flop and will chase almost any draw.

Now, with these kind of tables, how should one adjust with such small stacks. What is your strategy for maximizing profits. And can it exclude the understanding that multiple buy-ins are required?

So far i've adopted as style of ultra-tight ultra-aggressive. Waiting for good hands, and playing them very strong. Using position harder than usual, and lowering the number of bluffs while increasing the ammount i use with each one. Its worked, but not as well as i want it to so i'm wondering where i should alter the play.