Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2005, 03:42 PM

Default My line with bottom two pair

I can't remember exact details, but this is roughly how the hand went:

Full Tilt, NL 0.5/1 blinds, 9 man table (from my memory, both me and CO have about $100)

Preflop 1 Limper from early position, Hero limps from mid position with 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], CO limps, SB completes, BB checks (all else fold)

Flop (~$5) K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

SB checks, BB checks, EP checks, Hero bets $3.5, CO calls, SB calls, BB folds, EP calls

Turn (~$19) 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

SB checks, EP checks, Hero bets $11, CO raises to $22, SB folds, EP folds, Hero calls

River (~$63) Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Hero checks, CO bets $30, Hero folds

Now I don't like the way I played the hand, as I never really knew if I was ahead or behind or what hand CO had. So any suggestions on my line are welcome please.
Old 09-29-2005, 03:45 PM

Default Re: My line with bottom two pair

Bet $5 on the flop.
Old 09-29-2005, 03:49 PM

Default Re: My line with bottom two pair

I really don't like your turn bet. It is a little small and then it makes the rest of the hand relatively uncertain.

If I was villain in this hand and had TPTK or something and saw that weak turn lead I'd probably raise too figuring you had kicker trouble and that I was ahead.

Let's try to put CO on a hand. He limped in so I think KK is out. Since you are holding 98, 99 and 88 are extremely unlikely.

I think the hand you need to be worried about is 67. His minraise and value bet on the river also make me think this is his most likely holding. Unless CO is really bad I don't think hands like k9, k8, or k5 are likely, and hopefully 55 is extremely unlikely as well.

I think a stronger turn lead (maybe 15 or 16) would more clearly define your hand and his. If he raised another strong lead, I think you could safely conclude that he can beat Top pair....and if he can beat top pair, he can almost certainly beat bottom two on the flop.

As played I probably don't call this river bet either because it looks too much like a value bet of a straight, but i'd feel a lot better about folding if i'd made a slightly bigger turn bet...i'd have folded a $15 or $16 turn bet to a minraise here I think.