Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2005, 12:54 PM

Default JJ on a raggy flop, facing action.

I don't have stats at my disposal, but Button was loose, passive-weak type, CO was alright but too loose PF.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button calls.

Flop: (9 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP3 folds, <font color="#CC3333">CO caps</font>, Button calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (11 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Button folds, Hero ?

I was thinking call down. I lead the turn hoping that a raise would force the button out, because he was a loose passive player who could have anything and I wanted him out.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:08 PM

Default Re: JJ on a raggy flop, facing action.

The flop cap tells me he prolly has a set. I call down from here, hoping he has 44, or something.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was thinking call down. I lead the turn hoping that a raise would force the button out, because he was a loose passive player who could have anything and I wanted him out.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't like it - that sounds like a crappy reason to lead the turn.

The only hands I see a loose/passive Button folding are hands that have little-to-zero outs against you anyways - so I don't really see the logic in trying to fold him. If you're confident that you're ahead of CO AND that CO will bet the turn why not go for the value check-raise with two hands that are likely drawing incorrectly.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:23 PM

Yea, it was crappy I just felt like an overcard would be terrible.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yea, it was crappy I just felt like an overcard would be terrible.

[/ QUOTE ]
I know what it feels like. Out of curiousity what was your range for CO when he caps the flop.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:34 PM

Quite wide. Like I said, he played ok but was about low 30's in vpip. Hands that I was ahead of I thought he might have 77-99, not sure about tens, and I don't have his pfr % in front of me. Also though he could have flush draw and overs, A5 of hearts, or 65, which I might counterfeit. Obviously a set was possible. I didn't really think about straigt possibilities because he wasn't that loose and I don't think a straight draw pushes that hard w/ the flush potential.

River comes down the 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

Call down?
Old 09-28-2005, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't like it - that sounds like a crappy reason to lead the turn.

The only hands I see a loose/passive Button folding are hands that have little-to-zero outs against you anyways - so I don't really see the logic in trying to fold him.

[/ QUOTE ]

What if CO is taking a free card here? There's a few draws he'd check behind with that we want to charge.

considering the flop action, you leading the turn only is padding the pot for the other guy and isn't really you getting the other guy to protect your hand.

GIven your reads there's nothing saying that the CO is over aggro post flop. It looks like you're either up against a set or made straight. I'm just calling it down after the flop and just hope that he has a hand like 88, 44, 77, or a grossly overplayed A6

If you had no intention of taking this hand to showdown then why did you even go to the river in the first place? This river is not the place to fold.

That river is actually a good card for you (relatively speaking), since if he flopped some random two pair you just counterfeited it. So on the river I check/call expecting to lose but for villan to have flopped some two pair (or a bricked flush/straight draw) at least one in ten times.

-K
Old 09-28-2005, 01:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Quite wide. Like I said, he played ok but was about low 30's in vpip.

[/ QUOTE ]
When you say that he plays OK - it makes me wonder what he's capping the flop with (assuming that he thinks of you as a good player). It sounds like there's a pretty good chance that you're behind - I think your turn decision is either check/fold or check/call - and I like check/calling better because it also seems like you're not real clear on your read of CO.

[ QUOTE ]
River comes down the 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
Call down?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm assuming that you called the turn...

I can't think of a hand in his range that contains a 9 - so unless he was pumping a small set that's a beautiful card for you. I suppose that check/calling is an option here - again because you don't seem real solid on your read. He might not bet with a flopped 2-pair now that the board paired so by not betting you might miss out on some value. I don't however think that you're confident enough in your read to bet/fold. I'm not sure that the EV of bet/calling is that much higher in this HU situation than check/calling.

I'm torn between bet/call and check/call but, regardless, I think that card is good enough that you need to see a showdown.