Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2005, 05:49 AM

Default Do you call this push?

PokerStars $10 tournament. SB had been at my table for 2 orbits. When he arrived he had a higher than average chip stack, but had lost a medium sized pot to me in blinds vs. blinds where I let him bet into my trips for 3 streets then raised him on the river where he folded. He had played one other hand where he won without a showdown, so very little read on him although I did get the impression that he was a thinking player.

The initial raiser was a predictable player, so I decided to take a flyer with my 67s playing low in the deck. Comments apperciated.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (9 handed) converter

MP2 (t3195)
MP3 (t3055)
CO (t3880)
Button (t900)
SB (t3730)
Hero (t3330)
UTG (t1875)
UTG+1 (t2795)
MP1 (t1260)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to t300</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls t250, Hero calls t200.

Flop: (t900) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t300</font>, CO folds, SB calls t300.

Turn: (t1500) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

River: (t1500) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t3130 (All-In)</font>

Hero?
Old 09-27-2005, 05:53 AM

Default Re: Do you call this push?

well you're clearly against either a slow played flush (thats now safe) or a missed flush draw here, I'd be inclined to fold, but then again I guess I could be considered weak/tight
Old 09-27-2005, 07:39 AM

I would call, it's such an overbet that screams "Plz don't call me, i got junk". The Q on the river is a complete blank and could have hit him for top pair or perhaps 2 pair, but nothing more.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:29 AM

I agree you are up against a slow-played monster or a complete miss. If he's REALLY terrible he could have put you on a bottom pair and be respresenting the Q. With 3 spades to a flush on the flop, I think I'm c-betting the turn. If he calls that and still pushes the river, I'm folding.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:35 AM

He has Q6 or QQ
Old 09-27-2005, 08:59 AM

I would call. He has As Qx. Your bet on the flop gave him a 4:1 call, then your weakness on the turn made him think you did not have a flush or you had a weak flush, once he made his TPTK, he pushed hoping you will fold.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would call. He has As Qx. Your bet on the flop gave him a 4:1 call, then your weakness on the turn made him think you did not have a flush or you had a weak flush, once he made his TPTK, he pushed hoping you will fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

That may very well be true. Here is what I think though which happened to me earlier this morning. Almost the same situation.

He flops his low flush, still feeling vulnerable that another flush will come making yours higher than his so he checks thinking that either Hero or CO will start the betting and he will come along. Hero bets and he calls. Turn is another 6 and he checks again and Hero checks too. River is an blank in form of a Q and he don't want to check since he is scared of being checked by hero so he takes his shot here with an all in. If he get's called thats fine for him since he will make some more chips and if hero folds, he won't have to show his cards.

Since I don't know this player this may not be so but this same play happened to me earlier today except I was sitting with AQ and two pair and someone flopped a flush check/calling me until river when he went all in and I folded.

The check on river may be that he want you to lead the betting on turn too.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:27 AM

Some people like to slow play then push the river if no one bets at them. Villain could have a flush, trips, or a boat.

However, you have a big hand and villain could be bluffing or betting a weaker hand, so I would call.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He has Q6 or QQ

[/ QUOTE ]

You win the prize. I thought it was a missed flush draw, but he had QQ. I was really suprised by the bet though, I couldn't understand how he could make that play with a really good hand, it's not like I had showed much strength. I suppose he was banking on the fact that I would read the push as weakness rather than strength. It was a good play.
Old 09-27-2005, 07:30 PM

Why check the turn?

You have a strong, but potentially vulnerable hand. By checking you allow flush draws to get there for nothing. If you made a big bet you may have even won the pot on the turn.
If you're called on the turn, unless you improve, you may get a free showdown.

Bruce