Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2005, 11:55 AM

Default Aggression vs. a LAG...did I overplay this?

Table is a live $20 buyin, NL, 7-handed game.

I am in late position with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. I raise 3x BB to one limper, and end up heads up with one player.

He is VERY aggressive, and fairly loose. He will fold, though. I have a tight image at the table.

Flop is K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

So, I have bottom pair, nut flush draw, and a gutshot nut straight draw.
That's about 9 outs for the flush draw, 4-1(Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img])=3 for the straight, and another out for an extra ten to give me trips.

I figure only AQ would really call down a huge bet here, as there was no reraise preflop to indicate KK or JJ for trips.

LAG acts first, and bets $5. At this point he is shortstacked with another $6 or $7 left.

I reraise all in, he calls.

Results below in white:

<font color="white">
LAG had KJo, and hit 2 pair on the flop.
I missed both the flush and the straight.
LAG wins pot.
</font>

Thoughts? Too aggressive?
Old 09-26-2005, 12:12 PM

Default Re: Aggression vs. a LAG...did I overplay this?

againts KJ you have 17 outs, however villian could have a set or AK which would counterfeit some your outs and sometimes villian will improve KJ to fullhouse also. But say we deduct 3-4 outs from the initial 17 then it's pretty much a coinflip. And all the times when he has less then you are the favoirite.

I don't think you overplayed it but I can't see what is gained by moving all in vs. calling the flop. This is only b/c villian is shortstacked and will most likely call for the rest of his chips when you hit.
Old 09-26-2005, 12:28 PM

Ok,

suppose I just called the $5 bet, and the turn gives me no help.

Do I bet again? Check to him? What's my move then?
Old 09-26-2005, 12:30 PM

the reason you move in is because if turn comes a blank and villain moves in himself, you might not have odds to call. perhaps not in this case but certainly possible if stacksizes were slightly different.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think you overplayed it but I can't see what is gained by moving all in vs. calling the flop. This is only b/c villian is shortstacked and will most likely call for the rest of his chips when you hit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Given the read on villain and villain's stack size, I think reraising all in with a great draw is good because if the flush card does come on the turn, villain may very well fold. So, I think hero's hand is best here by ending the betting on the flop either getting it all in with both cards still to come, or getting a villain (who may have air or a worse draw) to fold out.

I agree with Stinkybeaver. At this point there is no harm in just calling to see the turn. He would have probably got all his chips in on the turn anyway, or maybe give you a free card to catch up. In my mind he was pot committed anyway, and you might have saved a few checks by just calling to see the turn.