Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2005, 02:24 AM

Default A comment on posting

I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] this forum. It's possibly the best strategy forum on the Internet. However, there is one thing that frustrates me that we'd be better off without. It's posts with little substance to them in places where substance is needed. Some of the posts in my KQo thread are a good example. When a thread reaches a certain size, coming in and saying "raise preflop" adds nothing to the conversation.

Here are some examples I saw today.

[ QUOTE ]
i spent a lot of thinking about this and i think you should bet the river

[/ QUOTE ]

That was the entire post. No elaboration was ever given at any point in the thread. It should have been given in that post.

Here's another example.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Not raising the flop is awful

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's from B Dids' thread. That thread had around thirty posts when that post was made. It's obvious there is debate going on and in particular the debate is exactly about what to do on the flop.

Some spots are obvious and little elaboration is needed. But most of the time people are posting spots that gave them trouble or are interesting. They want to understand. It's for the benefit of everyone in the forum that we elaborate our thoughts. It's for the benefit of the respondee because he had a spot he didn't understand and wants to. It's for the benefit of the responder because by elaborating his thoughts he has to go over the subject in his mind. It's for the benefit of the forum so that intelligent dialogue can take place.

I've mentioned this a few times, but it's reached the point where I feel if I can do anything to curb it we will all be better off.

Please elaborate.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:29 AM

Default Re: A comment on posting

Elaborating on what jason is saying:

If your comment on a hand posting takes you less than 10 seconds to type, YSSCKY.

At least 3 good sentences is a good barometer, I think. The better posters say more and explain more, though.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:31 AM

I like posts like these.

Oh snap! For content, I agree with what you're saying. I don't mind the quick posts like 'yeah this is good', or 'bet the turn' when the decisions sorta obvious and its clear the OP is just looking for reassurance, but when there's big discussions, it would be great if people read the thread first, then made a comment in the context.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:44 AM

If the one-liner is coming from a NPA-type poster, I don't really mind...I would much rather know rory's or sthief's or TStone's or Stellar's opinion than not know it! So hopefully this post doesn't discourage them from chiming in even when pressed for time.

However, I agree 100% that everybody else should either spend 15 min. on a post or not make it. (Yes, I'm guilty here too sometimes [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img].)
Old 09-26-2005, 02:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If the one-liner is coming from a NPA-type poster, I don't really mind...I would much rather know rory's or sthief's or TStone's or Stellar's opinion than not know it! So hopefully this post doesn't discourage them from chiming in even when pressed for time.

However, I agree 100% that everybody else should either spend 15 min. on a post or not make it. (Yes, I'm guilty here too sometimes [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img].)

[/ QUOTE ]

I think reputation should be the last criteria as to how someone should post on this board.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:53 AM

In a perfect world maybe, but considering that 99.9% of my 2+2-derived learning has been from a group of <50 select posters...I stand by my previous post.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If everyone had to spend 15 minutes on each post we would probably lose out on a lot of the best posters throwing in their 2 cents from time to time. I'd rather have them put 2 minutes into a post and hear from them at critical points than have them never post. For 80% of HUSH I think the 15 minute rule would be good.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:57 AM

Perhaps you want to edit? You are in fact repeating the first paragraph of the post you quoted... [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
In a perfect world maybe, but considering that 99.9% of my 2+2-derived learning has been from a group of <50 select posters...I stand by my previous post.

[/ QUOTE ]

A select group may open your eyes to weird and wonderful poker plays, but most guys here can analyse a straight forward hand (ie, 90% of the hands on HUSH).

If you're after inspiration, search for specific user posts. But asking people to post by rep, I don't think there's any need for it for 99% of the hands, because there's usually nothing special about them.

Worse too is that the one-liner spewers present their opinions like gospel. "FOLD PREFLOP" "BET THE RIVER," etc. Half the time I think they just post the one line because they can't elaborate why they think this. Your position isn't that strong if you can't explain it.

This kind of stuff hurts n00bs too. They see a short post from somebody who has a lot of posts (because they post like this) and assume that the answer to their question is obvious. Half the time these answers aren't even right.

Also, I think these posts come from people who have trouble thinking critically about the game, but who have heard that you need to read/post a lot in order to get better. They're just missing the mark.