Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2005, 03:26 PM

Default Quick turn question - 3/6 nl

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, 6$ BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Button ($516.95)
SB ($884.09)
BB ($461.25)
UTG ($1744.55)
Hero ($591)
CO ($588.05)

Preflop: Hero is MP with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $3.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $20</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls $14.

Flop: ($43) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $30</font>, BB calls $30.

Turn: ($103) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks.

So should I bet or check here ?
Assume a somewhat loose preflop opponent but who is not crazy postflop, he has something if he called that flop.

I dont know if this is really interesting but I had some trouble to see what is the most profitable line here.
Old 09-25-2005, 03:28 PM

Default Re: Quick turn question - 3/6 nl

I don't mind checking here, but it's a bitch when he has A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and hits a flush for free. Most people recommend betting though I think
Old 09-25-2005, 03:44 PM

If given no read, you need to bet the turn. You don't want to give gutshots like KQ, QJ, KJ or a loose [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] a free shot to river you. The true question in the hand would be what to do if check-raised because then you'd have to ask what the likelihood he'd do it with the bare K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2 pair, set, etc. Also it would be bad for metagame considerations to play scared every time a 3rd suited card turns, 6-max especially.

Another thing I'd do is bet more on the flop, probably $40 or the whole pot. The only reason I'd bet less is to give a false read of weakness hoping my opponent will make a play at me.

Garland
Old 09-25-2005, 04:58 PM

No info on villain?

Garland is right, at least pot this flop, I would bet $50.

If villain is fairly straight forward, I would 2/3 pot the turn and give it up if he pushes, anything less, call because you still have outs.

[ QUOTE ]
I dont know if this is really interesting but I had some trouble to see what is the most profitable line here.

[/ QUOTE ]

If we had more information on the villain you would get better responses.
Old 09-25-2005, 06:31 PM

I went for 30 $ on the flop because its my standard continuation bet after a raise and I dont want to varie my betting amount when I have a weak or strong hand.

I did not give much info on the villain because its a common situation and I wanted to know what are the main factors to take into consideration for the decision of checking or betting the turn.

My tought are that I make the villain fold most of his hands on the turn if I bet. He will usually call me with a pairof Ace with/or a high diamond or check-raise me with a made flush on the turn.

If I check the main draw-back is that I give a free card for the flush but he will have a diamond about 50 % of the time and will make a flush witouth me making a full something like 18 % of the time he have a diamond, so I will suffer from it about 9 % of the time, so its not that much.

But with a check I get a free card for the full if he have the flush, and I will usually extract more of him if he have just a pair of Aces.
Old 09-25-2005, 06:39 PM

I probably pot flop and check turn. You're also giving yourself a free card. If he's alread got flush and you pick up boat on river, you'll make some money as he overplays his hand.
Old 09-25-2005, 07:29 PM

I bet $60.
Old 09-25-2005, 08:42 PM

I usually check here unless I know villan has very loose calling requirements..the problem with betting turn is that worse hands fear the flush card and seldom call the bet.

checking turn lets you have easier decisions on river..call if bet to and bet if checked to and raise you fill.
Old 09-25-2005, 10:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I usually check here unless I know villan has very loose calling requirements..the problem with betting turn is that worse hands fear the flush card and seldom call the bet.

checking turn lets you have easier decisions on river..call if bet to and bet if checked to and raise you fill.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-26-2005, 12:43 AM

I would also check cuz fish love to c/r their made flushes on turn. If you fill on the river get it in, if you dont call a PSB. But what do I know the stakes are way over my head.