Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2005, 07:06 AM

Default Standard river cap?

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Villan is LPP (35/2.5), but will bet if he has a hand.

Should I cap the river here?

Preflop: Hero is Button with 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, Hero calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP2 folds, CO calls, Hero calls, SB folds.

Turn: (4 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, BB calls.

River: (13 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero...
Old 09-25-2005, 07:10 AM

Default Re: Standard river cap?

I would never cap here. Apart from the fact that you're beaten by a full house, you don't even have the nut str8. KJ was beating you on the Turn.
Old 09-25-2005, 07:14 AM

So, would you advocate calling down the river altogether, or is the initial raise OK?
Old 09-25-2005, 07:16 AM

*grunch* full house possibility and chance he has KJ (larger straight). Or he could be heavy betting a set. I'd call here.
Old 09-25-2005, 07:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So, would you advocate calling down the river altogether, or is the initial raise OK?

[/ QUOTE ]

Keep in mind I'm still amatuer and my advice is probably not always sound [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I still rely a lot on reads. If I were multitabling and didn't have a good read on this villain I would call.
Old 09-25-2005, 07:31 AM

Not at all I wouldn't have thought. I think you'll lose this more often than win it. Working backwards I'd call the river, cap the turn and bet the flop (bet flop coz lots of outs and maybe free card if you need it).
Old 09-25-2005, 07:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Not at all I wouldn't have thought. I think you'll lose this more often than win it. Working backwards I'd call the river, cap the turn and bet the flop (bet flop coz lots of outs and maybe free card if you need it).

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have bet the flop but villan did it for me. I would have raised it, except that we'd already lost one caller and I didn't want the SB to fold.
Old 09-25-2005, 07:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I would have bet the flop but villan did it for me. I would have raised it, except that we'd already lost one caller and I didn't want the SB to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's fair enough for the flop play but I just call this river without a really good read.
Old 09-25-2005, 07:51 AM

You know, I think I have a problem. When I have a good draw, and it comes in, I suddenly go braindead and refuse to contemplate that I might still be beaten by a better hand.

I saw the possibility of KJ or the full house, but I ignored them because of the chance his trips came in and he was overbetting them on a coordinated board.

Note to self:

Taking 10 seconds to think about what has you beat, and calling when appropriate, is not weak!
Old 09-25-2005, 08:23 AM

I can find a turncap with the 2nd nut straight and a flushdraw, but not on the river with pairing top pair.