Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2005, 05:04 PM

Default Value betting and trapping with TPTK

Just sat down, but my reads were as such: "Loose" was short stacked and went all-in once preflop, playing like he's in a tourney. "Villain" is loose and weak, raising one BB preflop on half his hands.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter

BB ($27.20)
UTG :#A500AF(Villain)/ ($24.60)
MP ($47.25)
Hero ($24.65)
Button ($24.20)
SB :#A500AF(Loose)/ ($8.50)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB :#A500AF(Loose)/ posts a blind of $0.10.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG :#A500AF(Villain)/ raises to $0.5</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $0.50, Button calls $0.50, SB :#A500AF(Loose)/ (poster) calls $0.40, BB calls $0.25.
I didn't want to scare them away with a raise, and sometimes you just have to call a raise with AKo for disguise.

Flop: ($2.50) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Loose bets $1</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Villain raises to $2</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $4</font>, Button folds, Loose calls $3, Villain calls $2.

Turn: ($14.50) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

Loose checks, <font color="#CC3333">Villain bets $4</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $10</font>, Loose folds, Villain calls $6.
I read the villain as having AX, possibly two pair, but he wasn't betting hard enough for that.

River: ($34.50) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Villain checks, Hero calls $10.15 (All-In), Villain calls $10.10 (All-In).
If he has a flush he's got me, but if he doesn't, he's practically pot committed. I've got the A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], so a flush draw was unlikely.

Final Pot: $54.75

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Villain has Ah 9h (one pair, aces).
Hero has As Kc (one pair, aces).
Outcome: Hero wins $54.74. </font>
Old 09-24-2005, 05:18 PM

Default Re: Value betting and trapping with TPTK

Raise pre-flop.
Raise more on the flop.
Raise more on the turn.
Follow these steps, you should have no money left on the river.

Loose/weak players means you should be betting/raising more at every possible moment. I'd hate to have 3-4 other people tag a long to that pre-flop mini-raise and be betting into me on any A or K-high flop - you don't know if your TPTK is any good. "Trapping" doesn't work v. loose/weak players. "Value betting" means you should be betting as much as they can call - both pre-flop and post-flop. You're losing value by raising so small on the flop/turn. The more you raise on the flop, the bigger the bets are on the turn. The more you raise on the turn, the easier it is to get it in on the river without it seeming like an overbet.
Old 09-24-2005, 05:22 PM

I don't like play on all streets.

Re-raise PF. Disguising AKo is not good, and the hand rarely plays well in multi-way flops. Against tricky, decent opponents, this play may be ok with deeper stacks. But not now. Reraising PF changes the hand dramatically.

Re-raise the flop, something meaningful too. Mini raising gives them tremendous odds to draw out on you, and I think popping it up to $7ish is better.

If villan leads the turn once again, I would push.
Old 09-24-2005, 05:26 PM

Thanks for the advice [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]