Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2005, 04:10 PM

Default Party 6s - horrible play on turn right?

200/400 Tourney Texas Hold'em Game Table (NL)

Hero is small blind
Seat 1 is the button
Total number of players : 4
Seat 1: Gregros111 (1880)
Seat 5: Hero (1995)
Seat 6: aqua2233 (2695)
Seat 7: DJHUSTLER111 (1430)
Hero posts small blind (100)
aqua2233 posts big blind (200)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Hero [ 4h, Kh ]
DJHUSTLER111 folds.
Gregros111 calls (200)
Hero calls (100)
aqua2233 checks.
** Dealing Flop ** : [ 6c, 7s, 5d ]
Hero checks.
aqua2233 bets (350)
Gregros111 calls (350)
Hero calls (350)
** Dealing Turn ** : [ 8d ]
Hero checks.
aqua2233 bets (200)
Gregros111 folds.
RamnJam1127 calls (200)
** Dealing River ** : [ 8h ]
Hero checks.
aqua2233 bets (700)
Hero folds.
** Summary **
Main Pot: 2750
Board: [ 6c 7s 5d 8d 8h ]
Gregros111 balance 1330, lost 550 (folded)
Hero balance 1245, lost 750 (folded)
aqua2233 balance 3995, bet 1450, collected 2750, net +1300
DJHUSTLER111 balance 1430, didn't bet (folded)

I know my turn play was horrible here - think I should've bet out or at least reraised but started thinking about hitting the low straight and what villain might have had and just imploded. I think the fold on the river was a reasonable play but wanted to see how others might have played this one correctly - low straights scare me and a lot of stuff beats me here
Old 09-23-2005, 04:23 PM

Default Re: Party 6s - horrible play on turn right?

I would have fired out a solid bet (1/2 pot) on the flop with my ass end draw, to attempt to take the pot right there. This puts tremendous pressure, particularly on the bubble, on the others to fold unless they have at least top pair. If someone pushes, fold; if someone calls, they are stupid, and unless a 9 or an a or k comes, you can probably take the pot on the turn with another similar size bet. If your ass end straight comes, you almost certainly have the best hand, and you can move allin to protect it.

Two moves however on this flop IMO: bet out first to act or fold to any bet. I like the former, as described above, because of the FE you have on the bubble with that harmless flop. If you are more conservative, check fold and move on.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:25 PM

PF - fold or push. "only" 100 is a considerable amount as you are hovering at the 10bb mark. if your neighbor isn't in the habit of trapping PF, i'd push it here...500chips is huge at this point. at this level, he's most certainly looking to see a flop w/ a decent draw hand (considering he should have open-pushed to begin with). that having been said, folding isn't horrible. calling is no good. a K-high...you could be dead anyway. a flush draw? (key word being draw)...far and few between for starters. and even if you get one, it will most likely not be free to chase -- as you do not have the chips to chase otherwise.

flop - fold. you're calling off 1/5th of your chip on the ass-end of a straight draw.

turn - whelp, you're facing nearly a 2000chip pot here. you DO have a straight...you've came this far, i don't know what else you could have been hoping for. you're down to 6bb's or so. open-push this turn and pray. get ready to fire up another...punishment for your PF+flop mistakes [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-23-2005, 04:44 PM

I fold this flop and live to play another hand.

Since you didn't -

The turn gives me one of the two cards I wanted. I check/push anything other than a push, if Villain pushes I give him credit for the 9 and bail out.

On the river, I still have the same hand I called the turn with, folding is out of the question. Push.

What was your thinking on the turn call?
What was your thinking on the river fold?
Old 09-23-2005, 06:19 PM

I think Bluefeet's analysis is right here, and with my poor play I certainly deserved to lose to a higher straight or get sucked out with the river 8, but as it stands I think the fold on the river was a good one considering the mess I'd gotten myself into and with anyone holding a 9 or an 8 having me beat (or any small pocket pair 44-66).

The turn check sucked bigtime - don't know what I was thinking - I definitely should've pushed as I'm put almost 20% ofmy stack in and have hit my hand (which obviously might not even be the nuts).

I think one of my leaks is not folidng the Small blind enough times with marginal hands and people in already in front of me 4 to 6 handed. In this instance it had been raised a lot when I was in blinds before and I almost felt like I was getting a free look (although BB hadn't acted yet) so maybe that's why I did what I did. In any event, pretty bad all the way around.