Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2003, 06:42 PM

Default Tourney Hand

I'm not very experienced in tournaments so the following situation had me stumped.

After 3 hours of play, I'm getting short, but not desparate. Have around 1400. My table was extremely loose for this stage(150/300 level) of a tournament. Would often be multi-way pots that stayed multi-way until the turn, and sometimes beyond.

UTG raised. UTG was a very tight player. Had never seen him show down anything less then AQ.

An early, also fairly tight, player called.

In middle position, I have pocket 10s. If I call it is likely that others will enter the pot, and also likely that the pot will be 3-bet and capped. If I raise, I think the other two will only call, or cap if they have AA, KK, AK, or QQ.

What should I do?

Also, how would this change if I suspected that no one else, or only the big blind would enter the pot?

Any help would be great.

Thanks.

Misha
Old 05-11-2003, 07:12 PM

Default Re: Tourney Hand

Against a tight raiser and a tight caller, fold. One or both of them has an overpair much of the time, and there is little doubt that you are facing 2-3 overcards in the best case scenario. Either that, or they're not as tight as you think.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)
Old 05-12-2003, 03:40 AM

You must fold, and incidentally, you are very short-stacked.

The reasoning:

It is likely that you are up against AA-JJ.

-and-

TT is not a hand you want to play vs 2 opponents if you can't collect postflop bets.
Old 05-12-2003, 09:33 AM

Fold. A tight raiser and a cold-caller is not good for TT. Find a hand soon but muck this one.

Ken Poklitar
Old 05-12-2003, 09:50 AM

I assume this was a limit hold'em tourney.

Given the situation you're in, this is not a good place to make a stand. You're short stacked, and if you lose this one, you're going to be real hurtin'. Also, you said a real tight player raised and another tight one called. Your tens can't be in that good shape then, and might even be way behind. Also, you said it was likely to get capped if you just called. Reraising here seems ludicrous, for reasons already stated. Just fold it. Remember even if tens are the money favorite in a hand, that doesn't mean they are a shoe-in to win the pot. More likely, they'll lose more than half the time, even if they are the money favorite, which is doubtful in this situation.

Fold.

al
Old 05-12-2003, 03:46 PM

Default Re: Tourney Hand--results

Many thanks for the responses.

I did fold. From the responses, seems my reasoning was correct. The flop came 225. UTG bet and won the pot. My tens may have been best, but I'll never know.