Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2005, 11:45 PM

Default Big Slick Suited Scenario

$20 + 2 NLHE Freezeout on PokerStars. Blinds are 200/400 with a 25 ante, and you have a stack of 10k, about double the average. 54 places paid, and still about 200 left, just before second break.

You find big slick suited hearts in MP1, and it's folded to you. You raise 1500 and the rest of the table folds to the button (12,000). Button has been fairly solid for the time you've been at his table, playing fairly by the book. He re-raises all-in. At this point you put him on AA-99, AK, or AQ, the most likely possibilities being QQ-TT. What is your play, and why?
Old 09-23-2005, 12:07 AM

Default Re: Big Slick Suited Scenario

If you win this hand you have a hammerlock on making the money. I can't lay down suited AK here. Unsuited maybe. Unless you REALLY think he can have AA or KK, I make the call.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:09 AM

Fold.
1. He has you covered
2. Your read is that he's solid.
3. Even if he has a small PP, you're still in a race.

Now the interesting part...if he is as solid as you say, why would he move all in against somebody that could cripple him? Either A. He thinks you're on a steal (but again, why go all in, why not a significant reraise?)
or B. He's got at least KK.
I'm gonna lay it down and wait for a better chance.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold.
1. He has you covered

[/ QUOTE ]

real bad advice...

be happy if he has a small PP, it's a race that you're getting good odds for... So what that he has you covered? That means you get to completely double up. Even solid players will make this play with AQs, AKo, 99+.. a range that you arent in thhhhat bad of shape in, especially considering the potodds (which aren't amazing, but they're alright enough for you to clal here)
Old 09-23-2005, 12:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Fold.
1. He has you covered

[/ QUOTE ]

real bad advice...

be happy if he has a small PP, it's a race that you're getting good odds for... So what that he has you covered? That means you get to completely double up. Even solid players will make this play with AQs, AKo, 99+.. a range that you arent in thhhhat bad of shape in, especially considering the potodds (which aren't amazing, but they're alright enough for you to clal here)

[/ QUOTE ]

I concur.

A good player would call w/ AA/KK here, no reason to push with KK/AA and give hero a chance to fold. You're probably a flip at worst and getting good odds. Can't lay it down here.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:27 AM

I use half of my time bank, then call because you'll have a stack that's off to the races. "go big or go home", weak cashes are pointless.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:28 AM

I guess I need to grow a set.
My thoughts were why risk the tourney when you're already ahead of the pack? Thanks for setting me straight.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:31 AM

Default Related Question:

What stack size (assuming he has you covered) would you have to not have the necessary odds to call here?

I call here *without a read that my opponent is very tight and not playing a lot of hands, you have 8.5k if you fold and rounds cost you 850 chips. I would fold AQ here though.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess I need to grow a set.
My thoughts were why risk the tourney when you're already ahead of the pack? Thanks for setting me straight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well..this is just what I would do..and I can obviously be wrong sometimes. You currently have 2x above average, but if you won this hand you'd eliminate your main competition (chip wise) and if you can play a big stack well, put yourself in excellent shape down the stretch.
Old 09-23-2005, 03:16 AM

You cannot fold here.. Reasons have already been stated.