Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2005, 04:42 PM

Default Does anyone here play Limit single table tournaments?

There is a single table tournaments forum here, but it is (unofficially) exclusively devoted to nolimit STT's. The general opinion of the people in that forum is:

1. Limit tournaments take too long (they take perhaps 25% longer than nolimit tournaments)
2. Limit is boring/tedious/etc
3. Without the ability to go all-in, you've lost your most important edge over other players.

#1 is definitely true, limit takes longer because players aren't getting knocked out left and right when they go all in. #3 may be true. However, the no limit tournaments are filled with multitabling sharks; from what I've read, the 2+2ers in the STT forum play at least 4 tables, and frequently 8 tables. Nolimit tournaments apparently lend themselves very well to multitabling, as there is little postflop play and in the later rounds you fold or go all in every hand.

Since the limit tournaments are not filled with hundreds of multitabling sharks, one would think they could theoretically be profitable. No one in the STT forum thinks so, though.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:58 PM

Default Re: Does anyone here play Limit single table tournaments?

I played a few limit SNG's before playing NL SNG's at the 5+1 and 10+1 at party. The players weren't great so you can make money, but the games took a while and especially the early action before the blinds increase was kind of boring.

At those levels the party NL games fill up so fast (basically several new games every minute) that it was rare to find more than 2+ skilled players at a 10 table, so I still think the NL games are profitable and not 'shark-infested'.

And if you like playing limit SNG's (and even better can make money at them) who cares if everyone else likes the NL?
Do keep in mind it's not just the sharks who like NL though, the limit SNG's have a much smaller player pool.
Old 09-22-2005, 05:02 PM

I like to play 10+1 sngs on Party every so often for a quick change of pace. They are not filled with sharks.
Old 09-22-2005, 05:19 PM

My roommate plays them from time to time and has had some success. He's not a total donk, but he's no TAG either so I think anyone who can beat the 0.50/1 tables shouldn't have much of a problem with these tables. I've actually thought of playing them myself for a nice change of pace.

Anyone here try them out?
Old 09-22-2005, 05:57 PM

Eh, NC warning.

I've just started trying 5+.5 Limit SNG's. My first two didn't work out (one of them, got short-stacked, all-in with AQs vs. A5o, flop is 5-5-x, ouch!).

I won in my latest attempt. It was not but the first hand that a couple of maniacs and another were capping all the way to the river with total garbage, trying to out-bluff each other. One of them was down to 8BB after a couple hands (this is round 1)! Two hands later a similar situation occurred. I was saying to myself, "this is great, it will be 5-handed in 3 rounds--I was right! Several rounds later, I was shortstacked in 5th, when I got a free look at the flop with Bigcard-6, and flop was x-6-6. Sweet. I let SB & MP do the betting for me until I raised the river and won the hand, tripling up. At that point, I had command of the table and my tight image was paying off, as I made selective aggressive moves. I let chip-leader knock out #3, and when I was HU, my aggression allowed for an easy win.

SNG's are really still new to me. I've been doing the micro full-rings, concentrating on beating them, but I can't resist the tourneys. Those are pretty dang fun.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:45 PM

I found the 10+1 limit SNGs to be ridiculously soft when I tried them but it was pretty boring. You could go on one of those stretches where you just don't get playable hands and get blinded out.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:54 PM

something I found amusing and profitable was that on PokerRoom all the SNGs are listed together and the limit ones are listed first, so it's easy to accidentally enter a limit SNG on accident. the half-dozen or so times I played a limit SNG I'd say an average of 2/9 of my opponents would start bitching that they thought they were in a NL SNG and after about 5 hands or so they'd just start stacking off.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:04 PM

The first 10+1 SNG on PS I played, I won. Only played a few after that and cashed a couple.

The players are bad, just like NL SNGs. They ARE profitable, they just aren't AS profitable as NL SNGs. If you are just playing for fun, sure, play em. But if profitability is your main concern I'd stick to NL.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:06 PM

I've played the 10+1 and 20+2 a bit just recently, and so far (small sample size of only 55 tourneys) they appear soft and can be played profitably.

They can be a bit dull in the early stages, so I often multi-table a 10+1 with my 1/2 ring games.

DU
Old 09-23-2005, 12:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've played the 10+1 and 20+2 a bit just recently, and so far (small sample size of only 55 tourneys) they appear soft and can be played profitably.

They can be a bit dull in the early stages, so I often multi-table a 10+1 with my 1/2 ring games.

DU

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm curious as to how profitable they are, what sort of money one can make hourly on them. Probably with such a small sample size you don't really know yet, though. There are lots of posts in the STT forum regarding the Return On Investment one can expect for No limit STT's, but none whatsoever regarding limit.