Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2005, 02:51 PM

Default My unusual computer setup

Some people have been interested in how I have my monitors setup, and I really recommend it. I'm still on the ancient CRTs because they do me just fine and I really dont care about upgrading to flat panels right now. There are other things I need to spend my money on first and I'd rather just bank the money altogether.

While I am on my computer, my recliner is often back with the footrest up. My neck is always supported by the backrest.

My elbow and wrist lean on the armrest at all times as that is where my mouse lays, making my setup immune to any carpal tunnel pitfalls. The keyboard rests on my lap, which is fine for me, but if that doesnt work for you you can purchase a stand to place your keyboard on instead.

Directly across in front of me is my beautiful television and I have it running at all times while I'm on the computer.

My setup is very comfortable and I like this so much more than the traditional desk/office chair setup. I recommend this setup to anyone who finds their current setup uncomfortable. The only problem with this setup is that in order for me to view my monitors I need to turn my head right or focus my eyes in that direction. This may cause some neck problems or back pain for me in the future. However, I have been using this setup for about a year now and my back seems perfectly fine.

Because I currently use CRTs, I need them to be located at the side of the recliner. If your setup has flatpanels you can get a table like this to sit the flat panels directly in front of your eyes to prevent neck strain:

I will be purchasing a laptop in the near future and if I choose to make it my main setup I will probably be purchasing a cart just like this.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:21 PM

Default Re: My unusual computer setup

I'm still on the ancient CRTs because they do me just fine

your eyes are paying a price for your cheapness [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-22-2005, 04:27 PM

I use a recliner, a cart for the 2001fp monitor, and:

Old 09-22-2005, 04:30 PM

how does the joystick work? looks like a cool idea
Old 09-22-2005, 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I use a recliner, a cart for the 2001fp monitor, and:

[/ QUOTE ]

How does this work?
Old 09-22-2005, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
how does the joystick work? looks like a cool idea

[/ QUOTE ]

it has four shoulder buttons like a ps2 controller; these are mapped to my four tables, so I hit L1 and the mouse and focus go to the top-left table, L2=bottom left, etc. square = fold, triangle = check/call, circle = raise. two of the little select buttons are mapped to auto-post blind and sit out checkboxes. I use a slightly modified version of this autohotkey script I found on the web. I hate using a mouse now.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:38 PM

best video game ever
Old 09-22-2005, 04:42 PM

it seems the grip is more natural, so it would cause less stress to your 'pointing' hand. true?

how much did the mousestick cost?
Old 09-22-2005, 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it seems the grip is more natural, so it would cause less stress to your 'pointing' hand. true?

how much did the mousestick cost?

[/ QUOTE ]

well I've put in tons of hours on a playstation, so I love the feel and layout of PS2-ish controllers. If you don't, maybe you won't like it so much. I get absolutely no fatigue after hours of multitabling though which wasn't true when I was using a mouse.

I bought this one for around $30, but you can use any PC gamepad and it will work, this one is on the expensive side because it's wireless.

froogle link
Old 09-22-2005, 04:48 PM

I'm developing some bad wrist issues, so definitely will look into this. Does Autohotkey handle > 4 tables whatsoever?