Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2005, 02:16 PM

Default 6 Max?

So I play the party 200NL mainly, full ring. I have been relatively successful, and am looking to step up to 400NL. When I started observing tables, I notice there are barely any full ring 400NL games, they are all pretty much 6max. I play some 6 max. but i feel that I am not as good in a shorter game yet...sometimes I find myself not getting the right mix of agression...sometimes too much, some times too little. Anyway. The most obvious thing for me to do is play at 6 max 200NL tables till i feel comfortable. but i figured i would fire a few questions out there

How much should i open up my game? Am I raising with almost any Ace in an unopened pot on the button? My VPIP in full ring is 23%. How much should that differ in 6 Max.

Can I expect my BB/100 hands to be similar?

Being that I think it takes more focus in a short handed game, should i be playing less tables?

Before anyone flames. I have searched, and read some of the archives regarding 6 Max. Thanks!!!
Old 09-22-2005, 02:39 PM

Default Re: 6 Max?

[ QUOTE ]
How much should i open up my game? Am I raising with almost any Ace in an unopened pot on the button? My VPIP in full ring is 23%. How much should that differ in 6 Max.

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't sound like you need to open it up much at all. Anywhere from 22 - 29% is typically optimal for 6max. Depending on how much you PFR now, you are likely going to be doing more of it. Don't PFR w/any ace. Ace/rag will get you into trouble when an ace hits. PFR with 78s or K10 but not A3.

[ QUOTE ]
Being that I think it takes more focus in a short handed game, should i be playing less tables?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes...for now.

I'm not sure about the bb/100 difference but it's likely the same. I'm sure you'll see a difference in your true win rate though since the pace is faster than full ring and you see more hands/hour.

I'd recommend going to NL100 first and test the waters just to get comfy. The last thing you want to do is play 6max at your same limit, run bad and refuse to go back. There is so much more profit in 6max it's silly.
Old 09-22-2005, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is so much more profit in 6max it's silly.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why is that? Is it because people overadjust and play too loose aggressive? Or underadjust and play too tight passive? Both? Niether?
Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 09-22-2005, 05:12 PM

You have to pay MUCH MORE attention to the other players than in a full ring.

Don't think very much about raising with Ax, Kx etc. Thats very important in SH limit but not NL.

Play 1 or max 2 tables at once to start with.

My experience is that its very dangerous to play 3+ tables because the tilt is being much more expensive at 6 max than at full ring.

Hands like QJ, QTs becomes good hands to openraise with from any position (maybe not UTG though).
Old 09-22-2005, 05:12 PM

1. Better game selection
2. More hands/hour = more $/hour
3. Better players make more money since you are faced with more tough decisions SH'd. Compared to full ring, hand values go down, value of position goes up, image value goes up, more marginal decisions, etc etc. Those who can play better "poker" should do better at 6max.
Old 09-22-2005, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My experience is that its very dangerous to play 3+ tables because the tilt is being much more expensive at 6 max than at full ring.

[/ QUOTE ]

I tilt less playing more tables. I get bored playing 2 or less or even 3. I then start overplaying hands, VP$P increases, PFR increases, lag ensues, I play a hand poorly, tilt has begun and gets worse knowing I have to play for a longer period of time to catch up. But that's me and a topic for another time.
Old 09-22-2005, 05:20 PM

I also tilt less playing many tables but When i tilt (for example after being outdrawn by a longshot) it often becomes more expensive. Even if its just "mini-tilt".

The main reason the tilt is more expensive for me playing 3 or more tables 6max than full ring is that hands like QJ etc. are good there and then I start overplaying them postflop...
Old 09-22-2005, 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There is so much more profit in 6max it's silly.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why is that? Is it because people overadjust and play too loose aggressive? Or underadjust and play too tight passive? Both? Niether?
Thanks for your thoughts.

[/ QUOTE ]

too loose aggressive? *laughs*
Old 09-22-2005, 08:23 PM

in full ring, you have to play pretty tight in early positions anyway... I was folding so much there, I thought I might as well play 6-Max where you just skip those spots and get to the real game.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:53 AM

Play fewer tables, 3 at most, 2 is better at first.

The reason 6 max is so much better is because the psycho donks dont feel as out of place at 6 max. The solid players loosen up, play a bit more to make them feel comfortable.

If these super donks play full ring, the weak tighties will make them feel uncomfortable as rudolph the red nosed reindeer.