Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2005, 11:45 AM

Default 4 straight on the river

5 10 nl 6 handed on party. hero is UTG + 1 and has 400 to begin with. Villain is UTG and has hero covered.

Dealt to Hero: 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

UTG limps, Hero limps, SB completes BB checks.

4 see the flop

Flop is K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

Checked to Hero who bets 30. UTG calls.

Turn is the 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

Checked to hero who bets 75. UTG calls.

River is the 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

UTG bets out 225.

Your move?
Old 09-22-2005, 11:46 AM

Default Re: 4 straight on the river

call
Old 09-22-2005, 11:54 AM

yeah, in retrospect, i should've called. I folded and he showed me J8o. Whoops.
Old 09-22-2005, 11:57 AM

Tough to say w/o a read. Depending on his profile, I'd say that K9s, 99, and even T9s are highly likely possibilities here, although the last assumes this guy will slow play the nuts.
This is too read dependent for me to say. I'd either call for the sake of information since you are getting slightly better than 2-1 (not a line I like against short-stacks, though) and be happily surprised with a win, or, more often, I would fold.
Old 09-22-2005, 12:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tough to say w/o a read. Depending on his profile, I'd say that K9s, 99, and even T9s are highly likely possibilities here, although the last assumes this guy will slow play the nuts.
This is too read dependent for me to say. I'd either call for the sake of information since you are getting slightly better than 2-1 (not a line I like against short-stacks, though) and be happily surprised with a win, or, more often, I would fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I misread the original post. That's probably not a value bet when you're covered and shortstacked - I'd call short-handed and short-stacked.
Old 09-22-2005, 12:37 PM

He limped UTG, and called a bet on the flop. His mostly likely holding is a king (KQ, KJ). Also a likely suspect is an 8 (most likely being 87 or 89).

How aggressive is the table? Given your stack size, if the table was aggressive (raises 1/3 to half the time preflop) I could very well be folding this. Small pairs play best with atleast 70BB stacks. If the table was very passive preflop this limp is ok.

When playing a short stack, I am looking for good spots to put a pretty high % of my stack in preflop, or hands that will hit top pair and can push out the draws without making an overbet (in order to get called by pair hands). I am never playing suited connectors (aside from the ones with significant high card value), and seldom playing pairs outside of the button or CO. I understand you are 6 handed so you're in the hijack, but also, 6 handed usually means alot more raising.

I usually call this river, since I can't really put my opponent on a 9 and the bet is not too out of line.