Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2005, 03:37 AM

Default $25nl - rock or fancy?

Bit of background - I have been playing NL for about 6 months now, made a couple of $50 deposits and have worked my roll upto $400, but then I think I got a bit cocky, lossened up a bit too much, and then lost almost all of it. For the last month I have been kinda breakeven, up and down, getting nowhere fast.

I only play 1 table so that I can get a good read on my ops. But I was thinking that maybe I would be better off multi-tabling, and just playing ABC poker, waiting for the good hands, playing aggressively when they hit and laying down when I am clearly beat. I chuck out nice 2/3-pot size bets when I hit and don't give people cheap draws and steal a few pots with a nicely timed continuation bet. Sometimes though I try and get fancy every now and then, and bluff in signs of weakness, only to be called down by midpair who doesn't know how to make a lay down. This kind of action makes me feel that bluffing is a no-no at lowlimit and I should stop all this fancy play and just stick to basics instead of leaking my roll.

So a question to the $25 and $50NL players - should I stop bluffing and just play my cards??
Old 09-22-2005, 03:55 AM

Default Re: $25nl - rock or fancy?

[ QUOTE ]

So a question to the $25 and $50NL players - should I stop bluffing and just play my cards??

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Perhaps you should bluff less often, though, it's hard to say without seeing how you play. There are plenty of opportunities to bluff at the small stakes, but it is a tough matter to figure out when's the right time, and when you're just throwing money away, but that's what makes poker fun.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:03 AM

at the low stakes you should tighten up on your semi-bluffs and still keep tight starting hands. if you are in a passive game which most 25NL games are, you can play more drawing hands and get value out of them if you hit.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:56 AM

I'm thinking that instead of playing just 1 table (6 max) and focusing on the characteristics of the opponents and trying to out play them, I would be better off to multi-table and basically play straight forward poker - fairly tight, aggressive when I hit and play for cheap draws. Not worry about how my opponents play, just let them pay me off with mid pair when they call my pot sized bets.
Old 09-22-2005, 05:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I only play 1 table so that I can get a good read on my ops

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sometimes though I try and get fancy every now and then, and bluff in signs of weakness, only to be called down by midpair who doesn't know how to make a lay down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps you need to reconsider how good you know your table.