Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2005, 11:59 PM

Default I play bad vol.2

7 Card Stud High ($5/$10), Ante $0.50, Bring-In $2 (hand converter)

3rd Street - (0.50 SB)

Seat 3: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Seat 4: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 6: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___completes

4th Street - (3.90 SB)

Seat 4: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___folds
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets

5th Street - (2.95 BB)

Seat 4: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks

6th Street - (2.95 BB)

Seat 4: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks

River - (2.95 BB)

Seat 4: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___checks
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks

Total pot: (2.95 BB)

Are 5th and especially 6th way too weak? After the hand I felt like an idiot for not betting 6th...
Old 09-22-2005, 12:01 AM

Default Re: I play bad vol.2

If you're not going to bet fifth, then why bet fourth?
Old 09-22-2005, 12:07 AM

Man, not betting fifth here is really bad.
Old 09-22-2005, 12:12 AM

He might be calling you down to river, but 5th and 6th need to be bet. Unfortunatly, you pair of 8's may not win, but when you play, bet like you want to win.
Old 09-22-2005, 12:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Man, not betting fifth here is really bad.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-22-2005, 12:41 AM

Shouldn't there be enough folding equity for a bet on 5th? What am I missing?

EDIT: Maybe I should real replies before replying myself...
Old 09-22-2005, 02:02 AM

I think fifth is an easy bet. I might check behind on sixth or might bet depending on what comes out, but usually I'm taking my freebie unless I catch a pair or my flush obviously.
Old 09-22-2005, 02:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Shouldn't there be enough folding equity for a bet on 5th? What am I missing?

EDIT: Maybe I should real replies before replying myself...

[/ QUOTE ]

He doesn't even need folding equity to make this bet, in all likelihood he has the best hand.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:27 AM

With the four-flush, betting 5th is a necessity. You have a strong hand and you need to keep alive the possibility of taking down the pot without a showdown.

To everyone else... is betting 6th is also good, too? Even if he has a pair of Q's, you're only a 60-40 dog with your live (1 dead diamond) 4-flush and live (one dead ten) 4-straight. If he doesn't have a pair (or does have a small pair in the hole) you're a favorite. With folding equity I think it's a good bet.
Old 09-22-2005, 07:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
To everyone else... is betting 6th is also good, too? Even if he has a pair of Q's, you're only a 60-40 dog with your live (1 dead diamond) 4-flush and live (one dead ten) 4-straight. If he doesn't have a pair (or does have a small pair in the hole) you're a favorite. With folding equity I think it's a good bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I’d say it’s depends on your opponent. If he’s overly passive but usually has at least a pair to call on 5th I’d probably take the free card. Betting isn’t bad, but you just don’t gain much.
On the other hand, if he plays a lot of junk, betting is probably better. You will often be a favourite and he is less likely to bluff you on the river, so you might win by spiking a medium pair.