Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2005, 10:43 PM

Default Where can I find the best tournaments?

OK, I love cash games and love tournaments ... but let's face it: money can go a lot farther in tournaments.

I've played tourneys at Party, Pokerroom and GoldenPalace. All pretty equal, but I think GP is the best, simply because of amount of overlay they seem to guarantee and the fact that there are numerous tournaments that have less than 100 players. I'd rather play a MTT that lasts 1-2 hours than one that lasts 5 hours.

All that said, I find most low-cost MTTs ($20 and under) to be all-in fests, with little actual poker playing involved. Frankly, I like to play poker and utilize strategy. I like to be able to make a laydown at a bad flop, or extract more chips from opponents on a favorable flop. I'd prefer not to have to go all-in preflop in most hands I play. It takes skill out and leaves luck as a big factor.

So, for those who have played tourneys at numerous sites, I'm wondering what you find to be the most "strategic" site and at what level will I have to play to eliminate simply throwing all my money in the center with KK against AQ and keeping my fingers crossed?
Old 09-21-2005, 10:47 PM

Default Re: Where can I find the best tournaments?

If by "strategic site" you're talking about deep chip stacks, then stay away from Party Poker. I know Pokerstars will start you off with 1500 while Party is only 1000.

Also, if you wouldn't want to go all in with KK preflop again AQ, then I don't really know what to tell you...
Old 09-21-2005, 10:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If by "strategic site" you're talking about deep chip stacks, then stay away from Party Poker. I know Pokerstars will start you off with 1500 while Party is only 1000.

[/ QUOTE ]

but this really doesn't mean much since the blinds go up faster, and stars has antees. this is probably what you're looking for.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...832&Forum=
Old 09-22-2005, 06:00 AM

Do I mind going all-in preflop with KK? Of course not.

That said, I like the SKILL aspect of poker and an all-infest preflop means you are relying on LUCK more.

I don't care about chip stack size or antes. I'm looking to play with better players.
Old 09-22-2005, 06:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't care about chip stack size or antes. I'm looking to play with better players.

[/ QUOTE ]

ummm... play the highest buyins you can find, and watch out for party and stars, b/c there's a ton of fish there. i don't know how full tilt is, but if they have high buyin events with the pros you should try that. i heard phil ivey and chris ferguson are good players.
Old 09-22-2005, 06:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is your problem.
Old 09-22-2005, 07:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That said, I like the SKILL aspect of poker and an all-infest preflop means you are relying on LUCK more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stick to deeper stacked cash games then..

tournaments do involve a considerably amount of luck, but theres also a ton of skill that i don't think you are appreciating...
Old 09-22-2005, 07:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do I mind going all-in preflop with KK? Of course not.

[/ QUOTE ]
Er, reading an opponent as having (a hand like) AQ when they all-in, or knowing they'll follow when you all in with KK is a skill. Or would you prefer someone to fold to your KK all-in?