Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2005, 06:58 PM

Default QQ blind defense hand

Hi guys,

Here is a hand I played this afternoon.

It is an online 10/20 game, a half decent table with a couple of good players and a couple of bad players.

My reads on the villian is that he is somewhat too loose and aggressive, but still retains TAG-like stats and abilities.

He open raises in the CO and I 3-bet in the BB with Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and he caps.

The flop comes out T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I check. He raises. I 3-bet. He caps and I call.

The turn is the 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I check and he checks.

The river is the 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

for a final board of T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

I check. He bets and I call.

My turn and river lines are very debatable I think. What do you guys think?

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Kailia
Old 09-21-2005, 07:09 PM

Default Re: QQ blind defense hand

Lead the flop. You don't want it to get checked through, and give a free card for overcards or clubs.

I lead the turn. If he raises again after capping on the flop, then I call down.
Old 09-21-2005, 07:12 PM

If you think he is very loose and aggressive I think you are ahead a lot here. I lead the turn. As you played it, I lead the river b/c given the action I don't see how the river card changes anything. Though I am barely beating 2/4, so you might want to listen to other people.

EDIT: Maybe river is good if you think he's more likely to bet a weak hand or bluff than call.
Old 09-21-2005, 07:16 PM

Did you bet/3-bet the flop or checkraise and call a 3-bet?
Old 09-21-2005, 07:30 PM

Lead the flop (You may have?), bet the turn. The river is fine.

LLL
Old 09-21-2005, 07:47 PM

If you knew CO was going to check behind on the turn, then you'd probably prefer to bet. But you didn't know that, and CO has done nothing but raise and cap so far. The turn seems all right to me.

On the river, the question becomes, did CO check the turn through with a draw or with a weak made hand he decided (after your flop 3-bet) to show down as cheaply as possible? I don't know 10/20, and I don't know the answer. Against a busted flush draw, you'd prefer to check, I think, but there will be times that Villain will check that through anyway. Against a made hand, you'd like to bet, but Villain will bet sometimes anyway after being checked to twice.

After you check, I wonder if a checkraise is something to consider? Villain will fold his busted draws, but maybe he'll pay off with a worse made hand?
Old 09-21-2005, 07:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Did you bet/3-bet the flop or checkraise and call a 3-bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Jake,

Sorry, I bet the flop. Type-o.

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Kailia
Old 09-21-2005, 07:55 PM

Kailia,

I think you should bet/call the river. His preflop cap indicates something with showdown value that will likely call but often just check through the river after you check despite the turn. I'd probably lead the turn as well with the read you gave.

Did you consider raising the river after he did bet? I can't imagine a better hand checking the turn since you're very unlikely to fold...however some worse hands may pay off since he's somewhat loose.

Chief
Old 09-21-2005, 08:01 PM

Here are my thoughts:

After the flop, villain's hand range can probably be limited to AA-TT, AcKc, and maybe AcQc to be generous.

If this is the case, you are behind 15 combos and ahead of 8 (some hands in the range are more likely based on action, but this should be a good estimate). While betting will protect you from giving a free card to a flush draw/worse hand, it also allows villain to value raise again since I don't think you can fold to a raise.

So you check, and villain checks. Most likely, you are ahead and villain took a free card to try to hit on the river. The problem is that JJ probably won't play the flop like that and then check behind on a safe turn card. So I think a good deal of the time he has AcXc.

There is also the possibility he has you crushed and is hoping you bet the river but would have folded the turn. If villain is capable of hand-reading though, this seems unlikely.

If villain does have the missed flush draw, I don't think he is paying off very often. I think you have a better chance to induce a bluff while at the same time protecting yourself from raises, so I like the river c/c.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:50 PM

Kailia:

The last time you posted a QQ hand from the BB you were playing live 10/20...that thread just sort of died and I really wanted to hear the end of it..remember you c/red the river on a board that had AA and a 3 flush on it....older man/good player in like MP3 and looser/agr young guy in the co..

I never really got your play in that hand and never wanted to bump it...so...I'll just take this one off track for a second if you would please...