Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2005, 07:35 AM

Default an unknown uses a confusing line part 2

only read on this guy: a few hands ago, he completed after 3 limpers in the sb with j7o, then bet the flop of 456r. that's better than nothing i suppose.

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP calls.

Flop: (10.66 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button folds, MP calls.

Turn: (7.33 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (11.33 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP checks, Hero ?

a bunch of one liners telling me to bet/call won't suffice.
Old 09-21-2005, 07:42 AM

Default Re: an unknown uses a confusing line part 2

[ QUOTE ]
a bunch of one liners telling me to bet/call will suffice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do it.
Old 09-21-2005, 07:54 AM

bet/call. he's probably pissed his 2-pair got counterfeited against your big pair ( of course.. then why would he check/raise the river with a weaker hand? I dunno, but I couldn't bet/fold there.)
Old 09-21-2005, 08:00 AM

Bet-call.

Are you not tempted to 3-bet this turn with the Kd? I think I 3-bet this most of the time.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:04 AM

ok i changed my mind, one liners won't suffice. if you tell me to bet/call, i want to know why.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ok i changed my mind, one liners won't suffice. if you tell me to bet/call, i want to know why.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummmm.....curiousity. Plus, you still beat several overpairs to that board. Plus, it's a pretty big pot. Plus, I want to know if he totally owned me this time so I can adjust. If he's just goofy I want to know that also, so I don't make bad folds in the future.

Again, what about a turn 3-bet? Why not?
Old 09-21-2005, 08:27 AM

Turn 3-bet: Because I'm scared. It's not like my hand is very disguised... looks like I have an overpair or maybe AK/AQ diamonds or something. When he then checkraises the turn, I'm worried... bet into the PFR, call the raise then cr the turn is a pretty strong line. Either he likes his hand or he wants me to fold. Also, a flush draw seems like the kind of hand he's going to donkbet on the flop. I don't think it's out of the question, I just don't feel like I should be 3-betting here.

River line: If he had an overpair to the board, why would he take this line then suddenly check the blank river?
Old 09-21-2005, 08:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Again, what about a turn 3-bet? Why not?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe because it is quite likely we are behind when he checkraises. He might even have Adxd making us draw dead but having to call a cap and maybe at least 1 bet on the river w/ our Kd if another diamond comes.

Also I bet river because I think he would bet if he had us beat, fearing we would check it through. Lots of hands he might pay off with. And like spydog said if he checkraises with the best hand at least we will know later he can do that.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:31 AM

With my experience limited to 5/10 land, my intuition is to bet/call. I'm not sure if I'm capable of articulating why. Except that I've noticed a certain type who likes to take a shot at pots by raising the turn with a semi-mediocre hand, but when called, essentially abandons the hand, or at least resigns himself to check/call.

Perhaps this is a bit off the point. But I've made the mistake of just calling the turn raise against this player, when I have a pretty strong hand, wrongly assuming that he'll continue aggression on the river.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]

River line: If he had an overpair to the board, why would he take this line then suddenly check the blank river?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's hard to say. I'm not sure. The more I look at this hand the more I think you are behind a big hand and he's just trying to eek 2 more bets out of you. I want to value bet this river, but checking behind might be the play. It seems when opponents take goofy lines, it's because they have nothing or they have huge strength. It's rarely a mediocre hand. So, based on that logic he's either folding the river or planning to pounce with a CR, knowing that you'll value bet an overpair.

Why would he check this river with a monster?