Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2005, 12:17 PM

Default An interesting note about bad beats...

I read this article recently and I thought that it would shed some light about bad beats in online poker games. I'm posting it here since bad beats tend to occur most frequently, IMHO, when playing many tournaments.

Here is the link: Article about bad beats

Think about this next time your aces get cracked 5 times over after playing a couple of MTT's...
Old 09-20-2005, 12:52 PM

Default Re: An interesting note about bad beats...

Good article. Lots of good players dont realize that the reason they suffer so many bad beats is because they are getting their money in with the best hand more often than the bad players. They have the edge most of the time, but the edge is not always as huge as they'd like to think.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:10 PM

Snake eyes !!
Like I needed another reason to hate these sliding bastards.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:36 PM

Thanks for the article. I've came to this same realization soon after starting to play MTT's online. I no longer get upset when I get my AA cracked by KK. The only time I can't sleep at night is when I lose by making a bad play and enter the hand with a disadvantage.

I recently had a hand where I held Ac Qh and put in a decent pre-flop raise getting 1 caller.

The flop was As Qs 7s. I put in a pot size bet to fold any flush draws and my opponent put me all in. My read was that he had AK and that I was very likely to win even if he had Ax Ks. My read was correct, but I lost to the flush and considered it a "bad beat".

After the hand I did the calculations and found out I had only 55% chance to win that hand. And even though the odds were correct for me to call all-in, I was taking a 45% chance of losing the tournament.
Old 09-20-2005, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
After the hand I did the calculations and found out I had only 55% chance to win that hand. And even though the odds were correct for me to call all-in, I was taking a 45% chance of losing the tournament.

[/ QUOTE ]

Knowing you were only a 55% favorite, would you still call the all-in? Nobody's ever won a tournament with 100% lock hands, and if you want to domore than beat the bubble, you're going to need to have a little luck on your side in winning these "races". Obviously if you knew you were only a 55% favorite it might not be an instant call at all stages of tourney based on relative chip stacks/blind structure/etc, but you need to push these small edges some times to get deep in a field.