Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2005, 01:27 AM

Default The free river play?

I've seen this play done before where u check the turn with the nuts then raise the river if bet into or bet to get a crying call from a suspicious opponent. My question is,did I use this at the correct time,and if not could you pointme to a more preferable situation?

PokerStars 3/6 Hold'em (6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. UTG posts a blind of $3.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG (poster) raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG calls.

Flop: (7.33 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls.

Turn: (4.66 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks.

River: (4.66 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls.

Final Pot: 6.66 BB
Old 09-20-2005, 01:34 AM

Default Re: The free river play?

bumpity bump bump
Old 09-20-2005, 01:41 AM

You'll make more by just betting the turn.

Think about all the times he's determined to call you down.. you give him a free card AND miss a bet.

How about the times he's waiting to checkraise you on the turn with an overpair? All those times he probably doesn't bet-3bet the river, but will call down when you 3-bet his checkraise.

Trying to get fancy by checking behind on the turn is FPS.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You'll make more by just betting the turn.

Think about all the times he's determined to call you down.. you give him a free card AND miss a bet.

How about the times he's waiting to checkraise you on the turn with an overpair? All those times he probably doesn't bet-3bet the river, but will call down when you 3-bet his checkraise.

Trying to get fancy by checking behind on the turn is FPS.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what FPS means but i figure he doenst have much. Your points are well taken though. However, I've been trying to work on checking when I know/figure opponent wont call me unless he catches up.

Maybe I picked a bad spot. Can you or someone else show me a better spot for this play so that I can improve?

thanks
Old 09-20-2005, 01:54 AM

Default Results

Maybe I suffered from ROT (results-oriented thinking)because I got the crying call by KQ (basically just K high). Although I'm now beginning to think he could've called 2 with king high.

Regardless, I still need to find places where I can find a check on the turn i think to, if anything, change my pace up a little.

thanks for the 1 freakin reply lol
Old 09-20-2005, 01:54 AM

Checking behind on the turn is good when you're against a tight &amp; tricky opponent who will checkraise you with a worse hand often enough that you feel uncomfortable folding. For example:

You have KQs, CO open raises, you 3-bet from the button, flop is AK7r, you bet, he calls. Turn is a 7.. check here if he will CR you with JJ, QQ, TT, KJ, JT, etc, bet if you can safely fold if he pops you.

Then you just call the river if he leads it. You will frequently make extra bets from worse hands who would never have called a turn bet.

In your hand, you have a monster. Not betting this on the turn is criminal. This isn't no-limit, you have to keep betting every street in order to maximize your value.

FPS = fancy play syndrome, a term coined by Mike Caro
Old 09-20-2005, 01:58 AM

Default Re: Results

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe I suffered from ROT (results-oriented thinking)because I got the crying call by KQ (basically just K high). Although I'm now beginning to think he could've called 2 with king high.

Regardless, I still need to find places where I can find a check on the turn i think to, if anything, change my pace up a little.

thanks for the 1 freakin reply lol

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't change pace on your good hands. Then you miss a lot of value. If you are betting as much as you should, this will be camouflage enough.

here's more info about ck v. b on the turn HU vs a trickster:
http://headsupclub.com/aprock_archiv...up_on_the.html
Old 09-20-2005, 02:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Checking behind on the turn is good when you're against a tight &amp; tricky opponent who will checkraise you with a worse hand often enough that you feel uncomfortable folding. For example:

You have KQs, CO open raises, you 3-bet from the button, flop is AK7r, you bet, he calls. Turn is a 7.. check here if he will CR you with JJ, QQ, TT, KJ, JT, etc, bet if you can safely fold if he pops you.

Then you just call the river if he leads it. You will frequently make extra bets from worse hands who would never have called a turn bet.

In your hand, you have a monster. Not betting this on the turn is criminal. This isn't no-limit, you have to keep betting every street in order to maximize your value.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I make the above-mentioned play often against thinking Tag's so that part of my game is sound. I dont think I have FPS on a regular basis but maybe I saw it done to me one too many times and I caught a temporary case of it.

tks for the replies
Old 09-20-2005, 02:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I make the above-mentioned play often against thinking Tag's so that part of my game is sound. I dont think I have FPS on a regular basis but maybe I saw it done to me one too many times and I caught a temporary case of it.

tks for the replies

[/ QUOTE ]

dude, how is this guy a thinking TAG? He posted UTG; this screams "please value bet me!"
Old 09-20-2005, 02:06 AM

No this guy is a freakin idiot. I was saying I am used to using the play you talked about before against thinking TAG's.

Don't worry we both agree [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]