Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2005, 12:45 PM

Default 5/5 NL big bluff

9 handed 5/5 at Foxwoods

Villian does a lot of preflop raising and calling of raises. Seems to play solid and thoughtful after the flop. I have been playing really tight. However, I recently called Villian's preflop raise with 9To and won with two pair, so he probably does not see me as completely straightforward.

Villian has at least 3000, I have 1700.

Villian raises to 30 from early position, someone else calls, I call in late position with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], blinds fold. Pot is 100.

Flop: K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Villian bets 50, other guy folds, I raise to 175, villian calls.

Turn: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Villian checks, I bet 400 thinking he will put me on a bigger hand than his and make a big laydown, villian looks pained, thinks for a while, and finally calls.

River: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Villian checks, I figure he has trips and think it is just too likely that he would call another bluff so I check.

What do you think?
Old 09-19-2005, 12:53 PM

Default Re: 5/5 NL big bluff

push it in.
Old 09-19-2005, 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Villian does a lot of...calling of raises...he probably does not see me as completely straightforward./quote]

[ QUOTE ]
push it in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Given the above info do you REALLY think VILLIAN will lay down KQ or Kx here? I don't. Check behind.
Old 09-19-2005, 01:21 PM

I don't know Killah. Mcstinky has shown strength on three streets now and the all-in on the end might be just enough to get villain to fold. Lots of people call the turn with trips b/c they know that they are still drawing live but will fold the end. That being said it seems like you have enough of a made hand to see the showdown and trying to blow people of big hands is rarely profitable. If he is the type of player who folds at a fairly high percentage on the end then go ahead and go all-in. If he's the type to say I've got it this far and I'm not folding now then just check.
Old 09-19-2005, 01:33 PM

Very true but the all in on the end is very read dependent. Majority of players (especially at this FW game) will nearly never lay down trips so I think this play is too dangerous w/o a solid read.

As an aside, at the FW 5/5 game I once saw a guy holding KQ and a board of KK6J call a $6000 all in into a $1000 pot. His opponent had 66...tools.
Old 09-19-2005, 01:35 PM

Yeah, I didn't know exactly what type of player he was in these types of situations. I checked behind because (1) him calling the turn gave me evidence he would call the river, (2) people in general just like to call, and (3) it was my first time playing live in a while so I was legitimately concerned about tells.