Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2005, 12:19 AM

Default Stud 8 river play

The river is my main question, although all streets are up for review of course.

Site: PartyPoker
5/10 7 Card Stud/8 -- Hand Converter

Third Street
Seat 1: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]_____folds
Seat 2: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]_____folds
Seat 3: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]_____folds
Seat 5: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]_____folds
Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]_____calls
Seat 7: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]_____brings-in
Seat 8: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]_____calls

Fourth Street
Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]_____bets
Seat 7: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]_____calls
Seat 8: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]_____checks_____calls

Fifth Street
Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]_____bets
Seat 7: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]_____calls
Seat 8: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]_____checks_____calls

Sixth Street
Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]_____bets
Seat 7: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]_____folds
Seat 8: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx _____calls

River
Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]_____checks
Seat 8: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx _____checks
Old 09-17-2005, 04:05 AM

Default Re: Stud 8 river play

With regards to the river I like a check because he is most likely drawing for at least half if not the whole thing. I would also probably check fifth as well. Both villians boards are looking pretty strong. I probably play the rest of it the same.
Old 09-17-2005, 06:35 AM

I like completeing on 3rd and try to get the bring in to fold.
I'd start to check-call it down on 6th. In all likelihood, you're against either

1. small pair with low draw and two overcards
2. made low
and I'm not thrilled about building the pot against either of those hands. Throw in a possible flush draw and you're not looking good.

As for fifth:
If I want to continue on, I like betting more. You definetly want one of the players to leave.

If you want to continue but don't bet, then one of four things happen:
1. seat 7 bets. You are almost certainly being freerolled and your high hand is very vulnerable.
2. seat 8 bets: he likely has a four flush four low, and you're not looking good either.
3. there's a bet and raise: you're in the worst possible situation possible in a stud 8 game
4. everyone checks, and you've given a free card.

As for the river:
I think you'll get more value from a checking than betting here since if you bet, the whole world knows what you have. If you check, you might induce a valuebet from a lower two pair.
Old 09-17-2005, 10:07 AM

I think you played this one fine. I chicken-call on the end. The other guy's board is pretty scary, and while he apparently didn't have much before the river, I think it's more likely that he will make a better high than you than that he will pay you off with a worse high and no low.
Old 09-18-2005, 01:17 AM

I kind of messed up when I decided to post this. I just realized my river line is pretty obviously right, because I forget that I made *open* tens, I was thinking I had both pairs hidden. If both pairs were hidden, would anyone want to bet the river then?

On 5th street, I think have enough equity to bet. If AK2s had a good hand, I definetely woulda heard from him by now, espedially because his board looks so strong. I forget if I had a specific read on him at the time, but I remember being pretty sure he must've had not too good in the hole. If the low board has a made low, then a bet is -EV if both players stay in, but I still think it's worth a bet to try and knock out the AK2s. If in fact the low board isn't made yet, a bet has plenty EV.
Old 09-18-2005, 01:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I like completeing on 3rd and try to get the bring in to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would've completed first in, but with an ace playing, and a middle card at my door, I think a complete would give away my hand too much. You might be right though, I don't really know which is better, I'm still pretty new to stud8. (Although I have read all the 2+2 books on stud and stud8).
Old 09-18-2005, 01:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you played this one fine.

[/ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Glad to get the seal of approval from the man in green.