Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2005, 11:43 AM

Default $200NL 6max pocket sixes

I'm really not satisfied with how I played this hand. My reasoning was that with a lot of overcards he would make that bet and give up on the river. MP is loose and UTG a shortstack that would be happy to put his money in with an inside straight draw or whatever. Bet turn - fold to a raise on the turn maybe better?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter

BB ($264.83)
UTG ($55.84)
MP ($374.31)
CO ($96)
Button ($217.65)
Hero ($373.53)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $1.
UTG calls $2, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $9</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero (poster) calls $8, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls $7.

Flop: ($29) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $24</font>, UTG folds, MP calls $24.

Turn: ($77) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets $35</font>, Hero calls $35.

River: ($147) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets $75</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $222
Old 09-16-2005, 11:57 AM

Default Re: $200NL 6max pocket sixes

I don't think too many missed overcards are calling a flop pot bet then leading the turn but you did say he is loose. when you say loose, what do you mean? do you mean he overplays ace high or do you mean he is just loose preflop but tightens up postflop? is it feasible for him to have an 8 or 7 here?

if you want to bluff you can try checkraising the turn as thats probably what you do with a set in this case but without reads, I don't like to make big bluffs against unknown.
Old 09-16-2005, 12:29 PM

Betting this flop is protection. Betting this turn would be a bluff. Calling the turn is not very good.
Old 09-16-2005, 01:08 PM

for me this is a classic situation i try not to get myself in anymore.
Youve called preflop i assume with the intention of hitting the set and taking down a monster (well, at least 8 times your preflop call).
Instead you've hit a flop which you know means you could well be ahead but at the same you time you could well be dominated by an overpair. So you bet out to find out, and he calls. You still have no idea what he has, none.

now i simply dont understand the check-call on the turn. by checking your now making the assumption he has you beat, yet you still call his bet?

This is a classic problem of failing to gain information about the opponents hand as you are out of position.

You have to fold this on the turn. The flop bet you probably rightly think there is at least 50% fold equity, and so bet out slightly less than the pot. Instead he calls. Give up on the hand there and then imo.

Wait for the time you do hit the set and hopefully take down a monster. The check-call on the flop looks like a 'i dont really know where i am in the hand but ill call anyway and hopefully he will check on the river and my 6s are good' - not the way you want to be playing this hand.