Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2005, 10:01 AM

Default Empire Happy Hour with AK

$100 buy in, still relatively early.
Blinds at 15/30

I have T1820

All fold to me in MP with A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I raise to T90. I get one short stack (T320) caller and BB (T2085) calls. BB has been erratic; overbetting several pots.

Flop comes A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

BB bets into me T175. For some reason, I immediately developed a bad feeling about the hand and decided that I wanted to keep the pot small. I didnt think a flush draw was a real risk, particularly since I held the K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I call.

The first caller folds.

Turn comes J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]; I feel sick.

Villan pushes.

Anyone fold?

(edited to correct blinds)
Old 09-16-2005, 10:18 AM

Default Re: Empire Happy Hour with AK

No.

Nick
Old 09-16-2005, 10:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

nope
Old 09-16-2005, 11:21 AM

Call. You have outs against a straight, flush, or boat. You have 18% against a boat, 38% against a flush, and 44% against a straight. You could be up against a lower ace.

I would probably raise the flop. The reason for flat calling would be to trap, not keep the pot small. The possible flush and straight cards are a reason to raise.

What are you worried about on the flop? You have second nuts. If villain has TT, you are a 3-1 dog, but you are crushing anything else.
Old 09-16-2005, 11:30 AM

I lose (or am way behind) to JJ, TT, AJ, AT, KQ and any two diamonds.

So are you guys saying that even though the only hand I beat is a bluff; the play is so horrible in this tourney (which is generally correct) that I should call expecting to see a medium pair (or possibly KK or QQ) with one diamond?

While I did call, I'm not sure sure a call is correct unless you're applying the 'donk principle' above.
Old 09-16-2005, 11:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I lose (or am way behind) to JJ, TT, AJ, AT, KQ and any two diamonds.

So are you guys saying that even though the only hand I beat is a bluff; the play is so horrible in this tourney (which is generally correct) that I should call expecting to see a medium pair (or possibly KK or QQ) with one diamond?

While I did call, I'm not sure sure a call is correct unless you're applying the 'donk principle' above.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just explained that you are not way behind against a straight or flush. 44% against a straight and 38% against a flush. You are pretty much even against a straight with pot odds. You have about 86% against a lower ace.

Your point is valid though that this may be a somewhat borderline call. Villain would have to be a real fish/maniac to push into this board without a huge hand. However, you are only really worried about a boat, and it wouldn't make much sense for a boat to push on 4th street.
Old 09-16-2005, 11:45 AM

I highly doubt villian flopped a fullhouse or hit one on the turn. They rarely would play them so fast. So that discounts 1010 and JJ. I'm not sure why you get a bad feeling on this flop? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] On that flop a weaker ace or even a flush draw are highly likely. I like how someone said by calling you are essentially trapping. Nothing wrong with that line. However with the flush draw on board, I like to raise the flop, make them pay. But regardless, I call the turn push and happily see me outkick them.
Old 09-16-2005, 11:47 AM

No.
Old 09-16-2005, 11:58 AM

I was at the table when this hand occurred.

Villain was a 2+2'er and plays good, but I don't think I could've found a fold there.
Old 09-16-2005, 12:07 PM

Since you are also a good player, what do you think the villian could have here? more information would be appreciated.