Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2005, 10:38 PM

Default Simple River Decision

Let's see, CO has been playing fairly tight and his preflop cold-call is a bit strange. Button is a bit wacky. He seems to like to limp-reraise with medium hands and can be a bit overaggressive postflop. Button is semi-tilting, normally a solid player but has gone quite a few extra bets on certain hands where it has been obvious he's beaten.

Bet or check-raise?

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (8.33 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, CO checks, Button checks.

Turn: (4.16 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Button calls, BB calls, Hero calls.

River: (8.16 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero...
Old 09-15-2005, 11:16 PM

Default Re: Simple River Decision

I prob bet out here. I dont think CO likes his hand that much. I would expect a hand like QJs or KQs to bet the flop so i think its unlikely he has a J. Hopefully he's semibluffing a [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] draw on the turn [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] and im not sure that a PP like 66 or 77 bets this river, particularly if hes tight.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:28 PM

Oops, if it matters, the semi-tilting guy is BB, not the button.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:29 PM

I think a bet is in order here. It just seems too likely to me that the river will get checked around. Probably none of your opponenets have a Jack, or they would have bet on the flop.

Hands like second, mid, or bottom pair here will probably take a free showdown given the number of opponents calling their turn bet. Also any missed straight draw will give up for similar reasons most of the time. Any straight draw that might have hit with that nine will probably raise you.

There is the possibility that someone else picked up the [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] draw and will raise you on the river which is good.

The last possibility in my mind seems slim but could occur. Someone may have flopped a set, and checked behind on the rainbow flop looking to raise the turn. Instead they merely got to bet the turn and got called in three spots. This person you may or may not be able to check raise on the river, but he is most definetly calling at least.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:31 PM

Even more reason to bet IMO. If it gets folded around to the tilting BB, he will make crying calls with some terrible hands.
Old 09-16-2005, 12:07 AM

Ok, seems standard.

I bet and they all folded! Bah!
Old 09-16-2005, 12:20 AM

is checking the flop standard here?
Old 09-16-2005, 12:23 AM

I'm not sure. I tend to mix it up based on my image. With 3 others in and a middling flop that was likely to connect to a couple of them, I really didn't see what betting would get me.