Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-15-2005, 03:53 AM

Default winning small pots, losing the big ones.

For about a month now, I've noticed this happeneing more and more. I'm getting dealt the same variation of cards as one would expect, and winning and losing what seems to be the expected proportion of them. But what is just draining my bankroll right out is that when I have the raising pf hands, I raise, and its either folded back to me, or I get 1 caller who folds my flop bet. However, when I get callers, or even people raising back to me and the pot grows, I invariably lose those hands. Its not as simple as me doing or not doing 1 thing. (like Miller's admonition not to fold on the river for 1 bet) its just the sum combination of possible bad turns that bite me. I mean, I look in my PT database, and all of my wins are 2-4 bb, while the losses are as much as 10.

As for what I'm doing about it, well, I've reread SSHE 2 times weekly for the last month. I've (I believe) improved my application of pot odds to my play, and siezed some more opportunities for agression that I used to miss. I post more hands. I pour over posted hands and try to wrest information out of them. Beyond that, I feel its out of my control.
Players rated as calling stations inexplicably fold to any move I make, players I've watched and feel I've got a read on suddenly reveal themselves as TAGs. I'm frustrated, and I'm just not sure if its something I'm doing or not, or just the statistics being unkind all at once.

Hell, I don't even know if I should post this at all.

here's some poker content.

Villain is 16/8/1.23 over 40 hands

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 max, 9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO (poster) calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 caps</font>, Hero calls, CO calls, SB calls, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (24 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, SB folds, BB folds, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, CO calls, UTG+1 calls.

I'm beat, I know it, guess I'm going to call it down?
Turn: (18 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls, CO folds, UTG+1 calls.

River: (21 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls.
Or should I just fold here.

Final Pot: 23 BB

Villain is 30/3.2/.56 over 54 hands.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 max, 8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, BB folds.

Turn: (4.25 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

River: (6.25 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero calls.

Gritting my teeth, prepared to see the lowest possible clubs in his hand.

Final Pot: 10.25 BB

And yes, I've dropped back down to .5/1 as of this posting. Full ring. I found the 6 max was magnifying this suck-fest. Other than that, I don't know what else to do.