Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2005, 12:43 AM

Default Bet the river and save kitty?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

MP2 is a rock, but otherwise unknown. The button is a tag, very aggressive and likes to play psychological. She'll iso-raise a weak limper with hands like 33, and also isn't afraid to 3-bet with top-pair-so-so-kicker when she thinks she's ahead. I've been raising in late-position and stealing a lot, so my image could be a bit lag-ish.

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 calls, Button calls.

Turn: (6.25 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, Button calls.

River: (9.25 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>
Old 09-14-2005, 01:14 AM

Default Re: Bet the river and save kitty?

<font color="#CC3333">MP2 (the rock) raises</font>, Button folds, Hero [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

-------------------------

Come on, 13 looks and no one has a comment?
Old 09-14-2005, 02:19 AM

She probably made two pair, but given her aggressiveness, I'd call. Maybe a better man wouldn't, but 12.25 to 1 is yummy odds. Oh wait, it was the rock. Awww crap. This is a tough one. I'd call, due to random idiot factor since he is otherwise unknown.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
MP2 is a rock, but otherwise unknown.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes I feel this way about the rock(s) at my tables too. The biggest thing I know about them is that they're very tight. But I rarely get to see them play a hand, and usually my attention is more focused on the LAG(s) and TAG(s).

Anyway, though, I think MP2's flop cold-call and turn call are a concern. And, for what it's worth, I was thinking that before I saw in your next post that he raised the river. I don't know. Some rocks like to be trappy. I guess maybe some rocks worry their opponents will find as many postflop folds as the rock finds preflop.

I kind of want to check the river, but there is some chance the rock is just keeping you honest, since he may think you're a LAG. And, if you're beat, I'd imagine one of your opponents will probably bet anyway.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="#CC3333">MP2 (the rock) raises</font>, Button folds, Hero [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh. I might call, hoping for a chop (or, if I was being really optimistic, hoping for a bluffraise from KJ or something). But I suspect folding is better.
Old 09-14-2005, 06:03 AM

Hmm, is this a clear river bet? I would c/c and expect to lose to a better A if MP2 bets. If you trust your read that he's a rock (weak?) with low-ish river aggression you can fold river.

Not alot of hands you beat/chop on the river since kicker plays on this board unless you think he has A7, A5-A2.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:03 AM

i really don't like your flop c/r, here... i'd take a WA/WB line....

but you should definitely bet this river.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:29 PM

Even without looking at MP2's river action, I tend to agree that this is not a good place to value bet because I'm betting into a rock and a tag. They will only call or over-call with stronger than average hands, so a check-call would have been more prudent after my flush draw didn't come in.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:30 PM

Can I take a WA/WB line in a 3-way pot?
Old 09-14-2005, 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can I take a WA/WB line in a 3-way pot?

[/ QUOTE ]

So long as neither opponents are likely to hold significant outs, yes. AK on A99 rainbow is an easy example of WAWB no matter how many players are involved. They either have the 9, or are crushed.