Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2005, 11:10 PM

Default a simple read

party 10-20 6max (6 handed)

i've been playing pretty tightly preflop and postflop. main opponent here (BB) is tight and pretty straightforward, PtonTiger2 if you've heard of him.

i raise AKc in CO, button calls, BB calls.

flop: As9s6s
check, i bet, fold, call

turn: 5s(As9s6s)
he bets, i call, planning to raise any non-A river

good or am i overthinking it?
Old 09-12-2005, 11:37 PM

Default Re: a simple read

I think you are overthinking it. He may fold a low spade on this river but I doubt it. I think this is a call down as he will call the river with anything that beats you unless he is really tight.
Old 09-13-2005, 03:16 PM

If you want to bluff him, dont you think itīs better to do on the turn when itīs cheaper and itīs going to cost him two more to get to showdown rather than one.

If he really is "tight and pretty straightforward" , then you can probably just let him have it.
Old 09-13-2005, 03:20 PM

i wouldn't fold a spade on the river to a raise. either raise here to try and get a free showdown/take the pot and fold to a 3 bet or just drop it i guess.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:39 PM

Default Results

[ QUOTE ]
If you want to bluff him, dont you think itīs better to do on the turn when itīs cheaper and itīs going to cost him two more to get to showdown rather than one.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree with you that it is cheaper to raise the turn. here is what i was thinking on this hand:

(1) on the turn, i pretty much put him on a small flush or weak ace that feared that i would check behind
(2) i felt there was a much better chance of him folding when i raised a blank river, plus he might call with a weaker ace
(3) i also knew i couldn't fold on the turn for one more bet, plus he might check a small flush in fear on the river and give me a cheap showdown

anyway, the river was a 4h, he bet, i raised, he thought for about 15 seconds and then folded.

all in all, i think it may be a fancy play that worked this time (i.e. just calling down or folding would be better), but i thought it showed how powerful a simple read could be