Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2005, 09:56 PM

Default How could I not lay down this hand???

Finale table at Ladbrokes daily $12.000. We're four players left. Chip leader has 180 K, rest of us has about 75 K each. Blinds are 2000/4000.

I'm on the button and pick up A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. UTG raise to 9000. I call, both the blinds fold.

Flop come 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

UTG checks, I make a cont-bet of 10 K to trap him, little less than half the pot. UTG calls.

Turn is 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

UTG checks again, I bet 20 K, UTG comes over the top with all-in. He has me covered with a few thousand chips.

I don't know what I was thinking, blood was rushing, I was SURE my Q was good. I didn't even consider the fact that it was three clubs on the board. 30 secs go by fast on the internet. I call with my remaining 35 000.

He flips over 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] - set with draw to the flush.

River is K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] - I'm thoroughly beat...

Yikes, when I see the play now when I'm writing it through... Actually no need for this post after all, this was a bad, bad call. What can I say, 3 1/2 hours of intense concentration takes its toll, the $50+5 buy-in-crowd at Laddies is tough to beat. I was knackered. One lapse of concentration and you’re dead. Well, I made 1100 bucks, I ought to be happy.

D.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:17 PM

Default Re: How could I not lay down this hand???

I would have reraised preflop, your hand is just too strong in a 4 handed game for me to just take a flop. Im happy with winning the 15k in the pot, and if called you have a solid hand to fall back on, that could be a favorite and often a coinflip.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:28 AM

I know... The way I played this hand was a disaster. Have been haunting me since.

B.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm on the button and pick up AQ. UTG raise to 9000. I call, both the blinds fold.

Flop come 9Q4

UTG checks, I make a cont-bet of 10 K to trap him, little less than half the pot. UTG calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since you were not the PF raiser, its not really a cont-bet.

When the PF raiser check/calls the flop, loud alarms should be going off in your head.

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 09-13-2005, 10:28 AM

I agree...

Unless he is setting you up to take the pot away on a later street, the check-call means that he either has a flush draw with AK (though I'd be tempted to play this hand more aggressively on the flop) or he has you badly beaten. Once he calls the flop, I'm shutting down - especially when the flush card hits. You also cannot bet anymore since you'll get yourself pot stuck with a hand that most likely is not good.
Old 09-13-2005, 11:02 AM

The second an UTG raiser checks the flop heads up, you should instantly be on your toes. What possible hands could he have that he would not bet the flop? I assume he is a competent player, and it seems he is. Check behind on the flop, re-evaluate on the turn. Lay it down to strong resistance if you feel the need to bet.