Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2005, 04:42 AM

Default 100,000$ guarantee,tough QQ decision right after rebuy-period

50+5$ buy-in,rebuy 100,000$ guarantee, ~1100 players started - ~850 left right after the rebuy-period ended.
Just moved to the table, no particular reads on villain.
Blinds 100/200, avg.stack ~5000, hero~8000, villain covers.

Villain min-raises utg to 400, everyone folds to hero who makes it 1200, villain insta-pushes.

This min-raise-push just made me really suspicious...

So if hero calls and wins, he will be amongst the chip leaders, if hero folds he will still have a healthy stack above avg.

Easy call, easy fold?? Easy nothing? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Appreciate any comments.
Old 09-12-2005, 04:45 AM

Default Re: 100,000$ guarantee,tough QQ decision right after rebuy-period

well i dont think it's that easy of a decision..

but the right one is probably to fold.

That said, i'd probably call, and hope he shows AK or JJ.
Old 09-12-2005, 04:47 AM

oopsie

I call, but I art donketh.
Old 09-12-2005, 05:06 AM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts

While you might have him beat, obtaining a chip lead at this point in the tournament isn't going to provide you with any guarantee of finishing in the money.

You might be coin-flipping, you might be dominated. I think it's rare that you'll find your opponent holding a pair you dominate in this particular situation.

His play was extremely donkish, but if you consider yourself a better player than most in the tourney, then you'll want to preserve your above average chip stack and wait for a better spot. You can outplay your opponents later, rather than committ everything to a hand where you are probably behind 30-40% of the time easily, and coin-flipping against an A/K the rest.

I might have just smooth-called with position on the donk min-raiser and see how the flop comes down. He has to act first against you, so that gives you some better options than calling his push.
Old 09-12-2005, 05:11 AM

A lot of people, especially people who are among the chip leaders after a rebuy period, do not know how to slow down after the rebuy. Someone who behaves as he did leads me to think that he is one of those people. For this reason, I would call. However, one thing I would do differently is instead of only re-raising to 1200, I would either re-raise to 2k, or flat call and see the flop to see if it contains an A or K. Then you've got position on him and you can react accordingly.
Old 09-12-2005, 05:44 AM

Thanks for the responses.

I thought about just smooth-calling also but decided it would let a donk with likes of A5s just too easily to the flop. After the all-in i really went through the same thought process that already mentioned...at best im at coin flip (or dominating ~10% of the times or so) and the rest of the time dominated big time. So ended up folding, villain didn't show.
Old 09-12-2005, 05:47 AM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the responses.

I thought about just smooth-calling also but decided it would let a donk with likes of A5s just too easily to the flop. After the all-in i really went through the same thought process that already mentioned...at best im at coin flip (or dominating ~10% of the times or so) and the rest of the time dominated big time. So ended up folding, villain didn't show.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what most pro's would do. They consider themselves stronger than most any competitors they expect to face in an event. Thus they don't need to get all their money in, in a situation like this, fairly early in the tournament.

They realize that they can outplay their opponents later on, when they'll have a better read and a better spot.
Old 09-12-2005, 07:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A lot of people, especially people who are among the chip leaders after a rebuy period, do not know how to slow down after the rebuy. Someone who behaves as he did leads me to think that he is one of those people. For this reason, I would call. However, one thing I would do differently is instead of only re-raising to 1200, I would either re-raise to 2k, or flat call and see the flop to see if it contains an A or K. Then you've got position on him and you can react accordingly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is a very good point and could sway a close decision to a call. Was he a maniac before the rebuy period ended?
Old 09-12-2005, 08:44 AM

With no read, immediately after the rebuy period, I call this every time. I have been shown hands like AQ and 88 so many times in this situation.
Old 09-12-2005, 09:00 AM

I think this is an auto call. You've got the third best hand in poker. If villain has aces or kings and is playing them this donkish so be it. The times that villain is doing this with AK/AQ/JJ/TT or some random suited connector will make up for the times that you're wrong.

There's absolutely no reason to smooth call here either. Raise to get it heads up.

I don't buy that most pros fold queens here because they are magically able to chip up and afraid of going broke early as well. That's weak-tight thinking.