Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2005, 02:31 PM

Default Cant get this hand out of my head

2/4 NL I just sat at the table and posted in the CO so no reads, I have 400 stack villain has me covered. I get dealt AKo everyone folds around to villain who makes it $12 to go a fold to me and I raise to $24, everyone folds to villain who calls.

Flop is AQJ rainbow and villain leads out for $40, Thinking the best I'm hoping for here is a split I fold. Was this a good fold or was I playing too weak/tight?
Old 09-10-2005, 02:36 PM

Default Re: Cant get this hand out of my head

That preflop is really bad, the flop is fine.
Old 09-10-2005, 02:37 PM

instafold. Never ever in a million years put a lot of money into a pot just hoping to split. Best case scenario he has A-K. Easy fold.
Old 09-10-2005, 03:48 PM

Bigger raise preflop, 35 sounds good. If he calls that, you're probably not ahead of much at all on this flop, good fold.

Edit: If you want to get feisty you could raise the flop, hoping to get a better hand or ak to fold.
Old 09-11-2005, 12:05 AM

thanks for the words guys. Xorbie do you think the preflop reraise is bad because its too small or you would have preferred a call instead? My thinking was if i'm villain my post behind is extra dead money in there and I'm raising with a wide range of hands hoping to take down the extra blind. At least thats how I play. I like to reraise with AK 30% of the time from here and the clock said it was one of those times. Is that too agressive, or too passive?
Old 09-11-2005, 12:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
thanks for the words guys. Xorbie do you think the preflop reraise is bad because its too small or you would have preferred a call instead? My thinking was if i'm villain my post behind is extra dead money in there and I'm raising with a wide range of hands hoping to take down the extra blind. At least thats how I play. I like to reraise with AK 30% of the time from here and the clock said it was one of those times. Is that too agressive, or too passive?

[/ QUOTE ]

First things, how can the clock say this is one of those times when you just sat?

I routinely reraise with AK preflop, but this depends a lot on the villain. Is it likely to be headsup with villain if I just call? Will I get added value in deception by just calling? Does this villain have loose raising standards? Can I take this pot away preflop with a big reraise?

Since you don't have any reads, you don't know if this is the rock of all rocks raising, or if it is a LAG. That being the case I probably flat call.

Since you raised, you have to make a real raise. Minraises or horrible. Make it 35 to go at least.
Old 09-11-2005, 01:26 AM

Your preflop reraise was awful. If you're going to reraise it preflop, pump it up to at least $40. I think your fold is ok.

Ryan
Old 09-11-2005, 05:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
First things, how can the clock say this is one of those times when you just sat?

[/ QUOTE ]

I use the clock to keep myself random if I reraise 30% of the time with AK from whatever position i'm in then when I look at the clock and the minute is 3 6 or 9 I'm raising. It helps me to stay consistent and to stay random

edit: all of that is barring outside information of course, if I have a read on someone that they only raise AA, KK of course i'm not raising regardless of what my OCD tells me. I'm not suicidal