Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2003, 10:43 AM

Default new Phil Hellmuth book?

There's a Phil Hellmuth 'How To' book coming out shortly in the UK, I presume its out in the States already. Has anyone read it yet? Any good?

Thank you
Old 04-28-2003, 02:05 PM

Default Re: new Phil Hellmuth book?

I think it comes out in either May/June here in the states. Mason has a copy that he's currently reading and said he'd post his review when finished.

jHE
Old 04-28-2003, 06:53 PM

gamblersbookclub.com has it as one of their new arrivals, but I haven't been down to see if it's actually in their B&M store. Good timing for Phil, as he just won his 8th WSOP bracelet, so it will certainly get his book some attention.
Old 04-29-2003, 01:49 PM

Hi River:

I've read about 100 pages of it (and it's a little over 400). The first part of the book is about limit hold 'em and it is without a doubt the most bizarre stuff I have ever read. Hellmuth constantly describes and recommends play that is totally maniacal. Typical statements include advice not to usually call three bets with king-queen and to make it three bets with all small pairs. He seems to think that calling two bets cold with these hands is accepted strategy but feels that making it three bets with the little pairs is better. He also includes a top ten list (for beginners) and he basically says to never stop raising with these hands unless you are against a very timid player or a very good player. Then he advises to back off AQ and 77. The play on the flop and the later streets is also similarly crazy. When I finish the book, and that may take a while, I'll try to post a review.

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 04-30-2003, 01:45 PM

Wow...that sounds strange! Did he write the book alone or with another author ? Is the book aimed at poker players or the general public ?
Old 04-30-2003, 02:28 PM

Hi Anadrol:

Hellmuth is the only author. But he does thank Andy Glazier for helping.

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 05-01-2003, 12:32 PM

Having followed Phil's career for many years (with a mixture of amusement, contempt, and sheer disbelief) I can't say I'm too surprised by what Mason reports.

Close reading of his articles reveals a strange mixture of correct and incorrect technical ideas, supersition, "feelings" and stuff that's just out to lunch!

Several highly skilled players I know regard him as the Number 1 fish in the world at limit poker, although they prefer to call him "the clown."

BUT, perhaps his tournament success is at least partially down to a relentless aggressive maniac type of approach? This strategy, or variants of it, certainly seems very useful in tournaments; at least from what I've observed of other tournament "names" - they all seem to have a very aggressive, position based strategy, tempered by great hand reading skills ("feel" you might call it) and (it has to be said) some lucky breaks at critical moments. I suspect its the absence/appearance of these lucky breaks that explains why so many of these people go on streaks of wins and final table apperances, followed by long periods of elimination in the first couple of hours...

Anyway, it sounds an amusing read, and I look forward to Mason's review <heh heh>.

- roGER
Old 05-01-2003, 03:08 PM

"Zeno
enthusiast

Reged: 09/09/02
Loc: Spitsbergen
Re: Phil Ivey + other young poker legends... [re: Dentist]
02/02/03 10:28 PM Edit Reply

"I'm actually looking forward to Phil Hellmuth's book for this reason.."

Dentist,

It is my opinion that you would learn substantially more about poker by reading Cicero - in addition to other useful information.

-Zeno "

All the above is a cut and paste of a post (News, Views, Gossip forum) from Feb. 2 of this year in response to "Dentist" talking about legends of poker and asking about Phil's impending book.

I stand by my statement now, as then, and also into the foreseeable future.

-Zeno
Old 05-02-2003, 03:25 AM

I've heard so many things about Phil. The only thing that bothers me is that he gets so pissed when someone outdraws him. I wonder how he reacts when it's the other way arround.
Old 05-05-2003, 06:00 AM

roGer,

three brief thoughts that have a tangental association with Phil Hellmuth. -

1) regarding tournament success, it seems we note home runs and triples but don't pay attention to batting average. there are some that play so many that even if they are frequent winners they are hardly in the plus column financially.

2) a few years gets a ring game player into something approaching the long run. i think it would take a tournament player a few lifetimes to get into the long run.

3) even after a few years of success ring game players can promote themselves up to a level were they are incompetent and no longer winners (avoiding this is probably what makes a Cissy Bottoms one of the few long term survivors).

~ rick