Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2005, 09:59 PM

Default PLO Hand vs Chip Leader - variation

Okay, so this is a variation of a question that I posed in a separate thread, but this time I'm giving myself a bigger stack to make the question a little more interesting.

So there are 22 players left and 18 get $. I have 16,000 in chips which puts me at around 5th of 22 players left. I limp in UTG with As (one suited) looking to re-raise and get all-in pre-flop with a short stack or take down the pot without a flop. Here's the hand:

PokerStars (7 handed) converter

SB: 17,923 in chips
BB: 25,419 in chips
Hero: 16,026 in chips
other stacks: range between 5,000 and 12,000

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of 200.
Hero calls, 4 folds, SB (poster) completes, BB raises 800 to 1200 , Hero raises 2800 to 4000, SB folds, BB calls 2800.

Flop: (Pot = 9200)K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 players)
BB checks, Hero ?

So here's my question - it would be pretty hard for the villian/big stack to not give me credit for As or trip Ks here. However, it's a pretty dangerous flop - he could have trips or 2 pair already. He's been playing his big stack well, is not reckless, and has shown down either good hands or good draws (when putting shorties all-in). So after calling my PF RR, I have to give him credit for some kind of hand. If he's been paying attention to what I've been playing, he'd notice that I've been pretty tight lately and this is the first time I've limped-raised from UTG PF.

What's my line on the flop? If you say check behind, then what's my line on the turn? Anyone lay this down here if he bets the pot on the turn? Laying it down would leave me with 12000 with the blinds at 200/400.

Thanks for the help,

ts-
Old 09-09-2005, 10:02 PM

Default Re: PLO Hand vs Chip Leader - variation

hero checks behind and reevaluates villains turn move.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:07 PM

I probably open UTG with this instead of limping with a larger stack, fwiw
Old 09-09-2005, 10:10 PM

you can't cheeck behind you dont learn anything..... and 12k still isn't all that much.. i think i'd probably bet 3/4 of the pot.. but that's gonna commit you quite a bit.. looks like you're either going big or going home on this hand.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:12 PM

yeah, i thought about raising PF, but I was really figuring that one of the short stacks would raise me and I could put them all in and get it HU. the shorties had been making a lot of moves PF, but unforunately, not this time.
Old 09-10-2005, 04:32 PM

I either open UTG or just call BB's raise. I don't want to commit only 25% of my chips pf with someone who has me covered. I would also say since he raised out of the blinds he probably has some very good high card strength
Old 09-10-2005, 04:58 PM

I bet pot on the flop and hope my aces are good. If the money was deeper enough, you can't just put everything in with an overpair. However, here the flop is too great a portion of your remaining stack, so I go with it.

All you are really worried about are KK and QQ (which are reasonable possibilities). If villain has 2 pair, or staight, or flush draws, you have a chance with pot odds and you may be the favorite.

Just shove them in and hope you are ahead. You can't tell by villain's betting whether you are in trouble. In Omaha, villain could easily be betting a draw. You can't let villain draw out on you cheaply.