Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2005, 11:51 PM

Default a good 6max player can crush 10 handed

Any truth to this ? I'm finding the skills I'm learning in 6 handed are making me so much better then I was at 10 handed. Seems like from a learning stand point I'd be doing myself a diservice playing 10 handed.

Any truth to this, or just a misconception I'm having ?
Old 09-08-2005, 11:55 PM

Default Re: a good 6max player can crush 10 handed

I'd think the reverse is true. Well, I guess that truth is that a good player can adapt to 10handed or HU as the situation demands. I'd feel much more comfortable learning to play solid in a full game then adjusting my play for SH than vice versa.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:58 PM

I guess what I'm talking about isn't the learning phase. Because I'll agree with you that starting at 10 handed is better.

I mean if you start at 10 handed, then becomes good at 6 handed, you can really elevate your game and add some elements that your average 10 handed guy won't have.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:01 AM

I agree with that. Like many have pointed out, you play your 10handed game like a SH game if the first 3-4 players fold PF.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:06 AM

A good ten handed player should also be able to crush the six max as well. Like has been said a million times before the game is the same just all the earlier postion players have folded
Old 09-09-2005, 12:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A good ten handed player should also be able to crush the six max as well. Like has been said a million times before the game is the same just all the earlier postion players have folded

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. Shorthanded is a different game in many aspects, and it's not always the same as people folding in a ring game because the other players have a different mindset.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But its not, the mentality is different, the aggression is different, and whats classified as a good hand is different.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I disagree. Shorthanded is a different game in many aspects, and it's not always the same as people folding in a ring game because the other players have a different mindset.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya 6 max is very different than full with early folds. For starters you don't have the good card bunching effect from early ppl folding crap. SH guaranteed to have blinds come around quick, most full ring games have early callers.

I agree with OP that mastering SH helps crush full ring, especially live. You just get a good feel for situations to exploit with aggressive play.

BB
Old 09-09-2005, 01:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Any truth to this ? I'm finding the skills I'm learning in 6 handed are making me so much better then I was at 10 handed. Seems like from a learning stand point I'd be doing myself a diservice playing 10 handed.

Any truth to this, or just a misconception I'm having ?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I feel if I went back to full ring I'd be a beast there. My postflop play has been elevated a ton since moving to 6max.
Old 09-09-2005, 01:19 AM

I think the path is: become decent at Full then move to 6max and once u have mastered six max (or at least become proficient at it) then when u do play full, its no contest.

The only thing u have to watch for that could carry over is preflop lag, calling down light to often and possible aggression mishaps on the flop and turn.

But I agree, once u become decent at 6max, ten handed feels like a breeze imo. A light, really slow breeze though.