Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2005, 01:19 PM

Default Some general pot odds questions

I hold A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 10[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Flop Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

There are 9 cards that will make me the nut flush, there is about a 20% chance of me making the nut flush by the river. Assuming there is $400 in the pot, what is the largest bet I should be calling?

I think I definitely call anything <$100

Do I call $100, $125, $150?

I'm thinking even with implied odds, anything above $125 is -EV

Am I correct here?

I have problems seeing odds as a:b and tend to automatically think percentages, that's why I'm asking.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:11 PM

Default Re: Some general pot odds questions

I'm sure I'm going to get corrected on this. Dpending on the players you're up against, preflop action, etc., you may have more than just the 9 outs for the flush, especially if this is a limit game. The A may even give you the best hand, again depending on the opponents. The chance of a runner-runner str8 might even be worth one out, if you listen to that Sklansky guy. Of course that was in the SSHE.

Again according to Sklansky, if you flop a four-flush draw, the flush will come in about 35% of the time. If you use the 4,2 theory (multiply your outs by 4 on the flop, and you get an idea of your percentages)supports the idea.

Also, don't count on too many implied odds when you're playing your flush draw. It's too obvious. When it hits, you'll get very little remaining action. Implied odds on straights and sets are much better.

Okay, now let the real players tear me up.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:29 PM

this post would be better served in the probability forumn.

cheers!
Old 09-08-2005, 03:19 PM

whoops, I realized that after I posted it... [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]