Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2005, 10:51 AM

Default ok, i limped AQ utg

following 2+2 wisdom, i've starting limping AQ in levels 1/2. i'm pretty happy with this line given that i have the flush draw (comments still appreciated), but what would i have done with no spades?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (9 handed) converter

MP3 (t795)
CO (t815)
Button (t1365)
SB (t650)
BB (t780)
Hero (t775)
UTG+1 (t1630)
MP1 (t430)
MP2 (t760)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
Hero calls t30, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises to t75</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls t60, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls t45.

Flop: (t255) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t30</font>, Hero calls t30, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises to t150</font>, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t700 (All-In)</font>,
Old 09-08-2005, 11:02 AM

Default Re: ok, i limped AQ utg

[ QUOTE ]
but what would i have done with no spades?

[/ QUOTE ]

Assuming that you dont have any reads on MP3 I may consider folding, would you put him on AA or KK?, I dont think he would raise PF with 88 or 66.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:10 AM

I like the way this was played. I'd be interested in hearing other opinions. I would probably do this the same way.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:16 AM

I think this is a horrible call preflop. You are throwing away 10% of your stack, against a raise, with AQs. Opponent could be on AA, KK, QQ, making a move with AQ, Opponent could also have KQ as well. (which is the only reasonable hand you are beating)

I think the push is fine. If you are behind you have plenty of outs.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think this is a horrible call preflop. You are throwing away 10% of your stack, against a raise, with AQs. Opponent could be on AA, KK, QQ, making a move with AQ, Opponent could also have KQ as well. (which is the only reasonable hand you are beating)

I think the push is fine. If you are behind you have plenty of outs.

[/ QUOTE ]

limp for 30 and then fold for 45 more with another caller in? are you serious?
Old 09-08-2005, 11:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
but what would i have done with no spades?

[/ QUOTE ]

Raise the weak ass mini lead to 150-180 and fold if you encounter serious resistance from someone who you don't think get's out of line too much.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:25 AM

Yeah I second that, I hate this preflop call at this point in the game. I don't nessasarily like the push that much either though.

If he does have AA KK of course he is calling and you can either hit another queen or hit your flush. I don't know, it seems like more of a continutation bet... I mean if you are willing to commit to this pot completely anyway I just let him bet and I call down to the river and hope I hit what I need. Yeah maybe he hits 2 pair or something but as far as draws go you got the mack daddy.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think this is a horrible call preflop. You are throwing away 10% of your stack, against a raise, with AQs.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is just incorrect analysis. Hero starts with T775, he calls 30, then it gets raised to 75 and he calls 45. 30/775 = 3.9% and 45/745 = 6%. Also, he is getting 4:1 closing the action when he calls the t45. At no point does he call 10% of his stack, and folding to the weak raise here is just horrid.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:49 AM

Folding this pre-flop is too weak I think. Folding or calling that flop is also too weak. You only fear a few hands here. QQ which is not likely, you hold one queen, and one is on board. AA, possible, but with the flush draw out there, the player should have bet more to win the pot right away, and you hold one ace. KK, again, the bet post flop is too small to try and win the pot right there. A more likely holding is a pair lower thn QQ, likely 99-JJ. Could be 88 for a set, but more than likely the A-Qs is ahead at this point.

So you have TPTK with the nut flush draw. You have 3 ways to win this pot
1. You currently have the best hand and no-one draws out on you
2. Everyone folds
3. You hit the spade

Also, you may still have 3 aces and 2 queens that help your hand.

TPTK with nut flush draw is the perfect time to go all-in and put your opponents to a decision. I like the OP's play here, but then maybe I'm a donk....
Old 09-08-2005, 12:00 PM

the ideal play for me TPTK flop is to check and evaluate. If possible hope for a late position player to bet the flop and re-raise him to sandwich the field &amp; diminish any odds remaining players may have to chase their straight or flush draws.