Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2005, 10:17 AM

Default How to follow up a check on the flop when you hit

I know you have to check TP from time to time when you are first to act so that you won't be too easy to read. But what should be your standard line when he then bets? I really don't like a checkraise since you then build the pot OOP.. But if you just call should you then lead the turn?

I know it's situational and player dependent, but as a general approach when you hit something like TPTK on an uncoordinated bord (in a raised pot), what should you do?
Old 09-08-2005, 10:21 AM

Default Re: How to follow up a check on the flop when you hit

I bet the flop 95%+ if I hit as PFR. The disuising of your hand should come when you don't hit the flop and bet anyway. If I do check, I call and lead the turn.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I know it's situational and player dependent, but as a general approach when you hit something like TPTK on an uncoordinated bord (in a raised pot), what should you do?

[/ QUOTE ]

everything depends, unfortunately, so there's no hard fast rule. and there shouldn't be, that would make poker more like checkers.

however... if i'm OOP and was the caller pf, (I'm assuming HU) I will check to the raiser and generally call. on an uncoordinated board Im less worried abotu hand protection then I would be about pot control and earning value from 3 to 6 out type hands.

everything depends on the TYPE of turn card + TYPE of villain, but an overaggro guy I could often times just check/call down. This assumes it's shorthanded and/or my opponent is not a nit, because if he's a nit check/folding may be best. (Or folding preflop, if you can narrow someone to KK or AA and you hold AJs, for example!)

However, ifthey're reasonable, and will check when they pick up outs for example, I'll pot bet or so a draw-bringing card... like, AJs I defend in BB from a guy who opens too much, Jh 6 2r, very drawless board, check call. Then Th pops up, suddenly alot of near dead hands on the flop have alot more reason to play on.

But lets say the 2 pairs, it's a typical way ahead/way behind, and you look to maximize earn from bluffs, underpairs, and weaker Jx. So generally I'll check, if he checks I'll assume he has nothing or a weaker jack, and probably value bet half pot on river... If he leads, I wont feel as great, because he easily could have QQ+, but also being overaggro w/ a 2nd barrell ona dry board (generally a bad idea..) or overplaying top pair. Raising is bad in all cases, so once again, I check/call.

I do call too much, but for some reason opponents always feel the need to bluff me. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-08-2005, 11:31 AM

It's really dependent on the situation. Are there draws possible? How aggro is/are the opponent(s)?

To disguise my leads with flops I connect with, I strongly prefer also leading with draws and air sometimes, rather than checking my made hands against typical opponents.

an example of a mix-up play like the one you're asking about that I use sometimes goes something like this:

I raise 4x BB in EP with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], CO calls button calls.

Flop K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I check, CO bets 2/3 pot, button folds, I call.

Turn 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I lead for 3/4 pot.

CO will usually define their hand in a pretty straight-forward way at this point.

Edit: My image is usually very aggressive. KJ will almost always call my turn bet.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:42 AM

OK, thx for replies. I already bet with air and draws so I'll guess I'll keep doing that but check less often with made hands, and call the rare times I do.