Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2005, 04:33 PM

Default Pushing when overcards come...

I think I played this hand well, maybe it can show some people the importance of betting even when overcards come.

Ultimate Bet 0.01/0.02 Hold'em (7 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.01.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB (poster) checks, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO folds, Button folds, SB calls, BB calls.

Turn: (4 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

River: (7 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB folds, BB calls.

Final Pot: 9 BB

Results in below:
BB has 3s 4h (one pair, threes).
Hero has Jh Qd (one pair, jacks).
Outcome: Hero wins 9 BB.
Old 09-08-2005, 07:40 AM

Default Re: Pushing when overcards come...

You hit top pair good kicker with a backdoor flush draw. If either of those donks in the blinds hit they woulda raised, but instead they paid u off all the way, with nothing but bottom pair and a busted lower flush draw. I need to find these kinda games!
Old 09-08-2005, 12:33 PM

Always value bet this down to the river. With any type of read that these guys are weak-passive though, I'd probably fold to a raise on the river.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Always value bet this down to the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm less happy with the value bet on the river than with the value bet on the turn. So many bad players will hang on to A3-offsuit hoping to pair aces that I don't think another single pair can be bet for value with two overcards showing, one an ace, against two opponents. Individual reads would be important there, as would board texture and other hands they might be hanging in with.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If either of those donks in the blinds hit they woulda raised, but instead they paid u off all the way, with nothing but bottom pair and a busted lower flush draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

The river folder could plausibly have had the Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I agree that folks will hang in with much less, often with even a low heart. I used to do that before I learned the difference between a one-card and two-card flush draw! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-08-2005, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Always value bet this down to the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on who you are playing...

If you are playing someone who calls down with bottom pair, sure, value bet, but not only were the turn and river overcards, but they completed the flush and a straight and the river is an ace. You will lose a lot here.

P.S. I would usually fold QJo preflop here.
Old 09-08-2005, 05:54 PM

dont be a wimp!