Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2005, 02:03 PM

Default Top set, different aggressor on every street

All Villians 30+ VPIP, nothing out of the ordinary.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $2.
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, CO (poster) checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls, CO calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls, CO calls.

Turn: (8 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, SB calls, BB calls, CO calls.

River: (20 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, BB folds, CO calls.

Final Pot: 24 BB

Should I be flat calling the river? I'm only behind to QQ and T9.
Old 09-07-2005, 02:06 PM

Default Re: Top set, different aggressor on every street

I don't think CO would call the flop with T9 and noone should have QQ either so i would raise this river.
Old 09-07-2005, 02:41 PM

Nice hand. I wouldn't change a thing.

If you get shown QQ or T9, note that both hands were played sub-optimally.

Tom
Old 09-07-2005, 02:44 PM

It should be fairly obvious I lost this hand or I wouldn't have posted it.

I guess what I really want to know is QQ and T9 are unlikely enough I need to raise this river right? But at the same time I don't know what hand would bet into me on the river. Most players are going to check call even with 2 pair.

FWIW villian showed T9, played it horribly and didn't 3 bet with the nuts, so I guess he's getting added to my buddy list.
Old 09-07-2005, 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think CO would call the flop with T9 and noone should have QQ either so i would raise this river.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're probably right you should raise the river, but there's really no reason to believe players at 2/4 wouldn't call one on the flop with T9. Remember, many of them really, really suck.
Old 09-07-2005, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're probably right you should raise the river, but there's really no reason to believe players at 2/4 wouldn't call one on the flop with T9. Remember, many of them really, really suck.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno, the CO has been doing nothing but calling the whole way, we have been doing nothing but raising the whole way, and all of a sudden when its checked to him on the river he bets [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img], I think calling and going for some overcalls might be best as it would massivly suck to be three bet here
Old 09-07-2005, 02:55 PM

nh. if i got this much action every time i flopped top set, i would quit my job. all those bets would make up for my bad play.
Old 09-07-2005, 03:33 PM

It's marginal, but I would say call the river here -- specifically because the CO hasn't been an agressor before.

Is he really bluffing at 3 players after a 3-bet turn? If not, why did he wake up on the river 8 after that much action? The only hands that make any sense are 88, 9T and QQ, but his play to that point screams draw so I'd discount QQ to some extent and just call, hoping to get overcalls when I'm ahead to make up for the lost bet from not raising.
Old 09-07-2005, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

It's marginal, but I would say call the river here -- specifically because the CO hasn't been an agressor before.

Is he really bluffing at 3 players after a 3-bet turn? If not, why did he wake up on the river 8 after that much action? The only hands that make any sense are 88, 9T and QQ, but his play to that point screams draw so I'd discount QQ to some extent and just call, hoping to get overcalls when I'm ahead to make up for the lost bet from not raising.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't figure out what draw though. T9 or 88 are most likely. Or again a weird 2 pair. I realized shortly after this hand this guy is MUCH worse (yes it's possible) than would be shown by this hand, and really needed zero calling standards to call the flop, and is just going to peel one off with any two cards. Therefore I think I have to raise.
Old 09-07-2005, 03:46 PM

nh, did u lose this one or what?