Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2005, 01:26 AM

Default Raise, call, or fold this flop?

Button is a loose passive calling station. A raise means you're toast. Will peel any flop and call down most pairs. Decent chance he could fold for two bets on the flop when he has nothing. Only one orbit with BB so far, seems a bit LAG but can't say much more than that.

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero...

Option 1 - Raise: A raise could buy me the button and give me a free turn card for my potential 10 outer (could be discounted to around 8ish maybe?). Pot is decent sized but not big by any sort. It also opens me up to a 3-bet vs. a relative unknown which I really don't like.

Option 2- Call: Again 10 outs with a likely call behind me gives immediate odds of 8.5:1, but those outs are very very tainted. Donk bettor may or may not bet the turn again OOP with just a draw, so I can't use that in my equation. This brings me to option 3...

Option 3 - Fold: Relates to option 2 obviously. My outs are tainted enough that I should just muck my very mediocre hand.

Which door?
Old 09-07-2005, 01:36 AM

Default Re: Raise, call, or fold this flop?

I like a raise IF I think I won't get 3-bet. If someone is gonna 3-bet me or donk the turn when I raise this flop, I'd rather peel the turn &amp; fold UI. Folding is not likely for me on this flop.
Old 09-07-2005, 03:08 AM

edit- i prob just fold here, im really not sure on this one. Originally i read the post as pocket 10's.. wtf i must be stoned [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I spose you could peel one off with a GS but you prob dont have many clean outs apart from a few 9's.

I suck at these hands so id love to see some response here.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:23 AM

I dunno.

Put a gun to my head and I lean towards raise. Sounds like the BB might be testing you, or betting a draw. A raise might get rid of the button. And without a little more info, I guess I assume BB won't 3 bet his draw (but perhaps that's 5/10 thinking?).

I must say I don't mind fold, though.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:26 AM

call, that's not a board i want to be commit a bunch of bets to but you have a definite peel.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:36 AM

Interesting hand! I think the 3 options are fairly close. I would usually like raising, problem is if button is loose enough to call with just overcards and then BB might 3-bet even if he only have a draw...
If you think you will hardly get rid of button by raising I would suggest folding.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
call, that's not a board i want to be commit a bunch of bets to but you have a definite peel.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont really like calling here, you could hit your hand and still lose in so many ways... especially with the button still in there.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:47 AM

gutshot and potential overcard, getting 7.5:1 without much threat of a button raise, i can't see why that's not a peel. sure the board is scary but if the button doesn't raise the flop a king is likely good enough, and obviously a 9 has a good chance of making us the best hand. if the turn isn't a k or 9 get out; i don't think you're getting yourself into too much trouble getting involved on such a coordinated flop.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:20 AM

Sure we have the odds to call counting all outs I just think they are too tainted.
A nine could fall and you could lose a lot to JT(s) or a flush on the turn or rivercard. A king could come and button might have KJ. Or K8s. Or you could again lose to the str8 or flush.
With two opponents and a draw-heavy board and two crappy overcards I dont think its worth the risk, pot is still too small.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:01 AM

I think it is close between raising and folding. If you think donkbet is on a draw and you can drive out button with a raise, then raise.

OTOH, a bunch of your outs are prob dirty, so I don't think folding kills you here either.