Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2005, 11:17 AM

Default An influx of a new bothersome trend in this very forum...

Hello again,
This is just to bring attention to an annoying trend I am seeing more than ever in this forum. Posters simply quoting others' replies as responses in threads. I have seen 1 specific user do this at least 50 times in the past 2 days and others do it numerous times as well. The problem I see in this is between this and the little battles that I have seen grow in various threads between the same people the strategic/valuable posts become highly watered down. Again this isn't saying, "DO NOT JUST QUOTE SOMEONE!" Hell, I have done it in the past and there are spots for it, but I have noticed a significant increase in this in the last week and some threads are getting utterly flooded with this stuff, even those with valuable discussions and it makes it harder for people to catch up on discussions and makes it harder for new posters to read these huge threads. Also don't just quote this, it will be a lame joke and even lamer since I am calling it out before anyone does it.

The goal in my opinion is to increase the percentage of the posts in this forums that have significant use/value regarding MTTs and significantly decrease the unneeded fluff
~Justin
Old 09-06-2005, 11:38 AM

Default Re: An influx of a new bothersome trend in this very forum...

My self restraint is being heavily taxed at this moment...
Old 09-06-2005, 11:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My self restraint is being heavily taxed at this moment...

[/ QUOTE ]

Feel like simply quoting me don't you? don't you?
~Justin
Old 09-06-2005, 11:42 AM

I agree.

I don't understand why people do this. Either contribute something to the thread, or it just wastes everyone's time.

Ok fine, you agree with poster X. would it kill you to add something to the topic?

-Scott
Old 09-06-2005, 12:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree.

I don't understand why people do this. Either contribute something to the thread, or it just wastes everyone's time.

Ok fine, you agree with poster X. would it kill you to add something to the topic?

-Scott

[/ QUOTE ]

i do it sometimes. for example, if there's an obvious play, like pushing on the CO with 7 bb's and AK and there are a couple of people saying push and one saying not, i want to add my voice to the "push" side so that others will see a better majority in favor of the obvious push. but i don't find it interesting enough to give a lengthy explanation.
Old 09-06-2005, 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
fine, you agree with poster X. would it kill you to add something to the topic?

[/ QUOTE ]

the mere fact that the premium posters on here (you know who you are) are agreeing with a line of thought adds a lot to the topic. Sometimes, nothing more needs to be said apart from " i agree with him"
Old 09-06-2005, 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I agree.

-Scott

[/ QUOTE ]

i do it sometimes. for example, if there's an obvious play, like pushing on the CO with 7 bb's and AK and there are a couple of people saying push and one saying not, i want to add my voice to the "push" side so that others will see a better majority in favor of the obvious push. but i don't find it interesting enough to give a lengthy explanation.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not mocking you Justin...but I think this situation described above happens often and isn't all that bad to do. :-)
Old 09-06-2005, 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the mere fact that the premium posters on here (you know who you are) are agreeing with a line of thought adds a lot to the topic. Sometimes, nothing more needs to be said apart from " i agree with him"

[/ QUOTE ]

"[...] ten billion flies can't be wrong".

"Premium poster" or not (and these days it takes more than a check of the post-count to realize whether it's a "post-a-lot" or "know-a-lot"), there's no one correct way to play poker, there are multiple ways of thinking about the game and about specific situations.

And plainly quoting a reply without adding anything is no more than saying "I'm such a clever and accomplished player that my mere recognition of this analyzis will enlighten the crowd".

With all due respect, BS.

This board is for thinking and for inspiration of thought processes, not for establishing of dogma and secterism.

If you can't add new perspectives to a discussion you're adding nothing by saying "I aggree" - unless the poster specifically has asked for a poll.

Best,

McMelchior
Old 09-06-2005, 01:13 PM

I said in the original post that I think it is ok to do, etc, etc. However, I am not talking about strategy plays or what not. If a line is eloquently described by someone by all means quote them as a reply or say I agree with poster X. It is a new breed of this practice that is just quoting random things with no explanation and/or things that do not need to be repeated, such as a poster saying "LOL" or some useless like this. These are unneccesary and the posters who view in flat mode are annoyed by this because we have to sift through this junk. I LOVE a good joke, I love some playful ribbing, hell I do it ALL THE TIME on here but it is original thought and simply reposting someone else's idea and repeating this practice over and over again clogs up things exponentially.
~Justin
Old 09-06-2005, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"[...] ten billion flies can't be wrong".

"Premium poster" or not (and these days it takes more than a check of the post-count to realize whether it's a "post-a-lot" or "know-a-lot"), there's no one correct way to play poker, there are multiple ways of thinking about the game and about specific situations.

And plainly quoting a reply without adding anything is no more than saying "I'm such a clever and accomplished player that my mere recognition of this analyzis will enlighten the crowd".

With all due respect, BS.

This board is for thinking and for inspiration of thought processes, not for establishing of dogma and secterism.

If you can't add new perspectives to a discussion you're adding nothing by saying "I aggree" - unless the poster specifically has asked for a poll.

Best,

McMelchior

[/ QUOTE ]

Very well put McMelchior. I dont want to be the fun police here, just saying that I would urge this practice to stop as it only lessens the efficiency of this forum as a strategic knowledge base.
~Justin