Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2003, 11:20 PM

Default FINALLY the Rock has come back to the stud table...

Well maybe not a rock, but it felt good to be back in a live stud game for the first time in nearly a year. For those of you who have missed my formerly regular contributions to this forum (hopefully at least one of you has), I intend to be here frequently from now on.

Anyway after a nice 5 handed session of 7 Stud 50c ante $5/10 $1bringin, we had a couple of wealthy players arrive, that wanted to play $20/40 so we finally arrived at a happy medium of $1 ante $10/20 ($3 bringin) with a full kill ($5 bringin) for any $200+ pot.

Having made about $140 in the first little session of $5/10 winning mostly a series of small heads up pots, the action became pretty fierce in the first few hands of the $10/20 and most pots were killed.

I doubled through one of the wealthy players first kill hand I played in a hand where i was both criticised and praised for my play (and guts to put all my money in early).

Anyway i had AsAdKd (all diamonds live one A out) it was bought in for $5 the Ac raised to $20, i made it $40 all others folded, and the 2 of us kept raising until i was allin ($630ish). He turned out to have Ah6sAc, and when i hit a K on 5th, it was all over bar the shouting.

Some praised me for my guts in getting allin so early despite the fact that i could not be losing on 3rd. Others said i shouldve waited until later in the hand so i could get more bets in if i improved but fold if he did. Anyone else have thoughts on this matter? (It is generally considered i am a much better player than this man).

I'm sure hitting the K on 5th would have slowed him down and I wouldn't have been able to get allin (he probably wouldn't have folded), but it's easy to be right in hindsight.

There were a few other nice pots along the way but nothing that really shows much more than straight forward play, and I ended up a $1070 winner on the night.

More stories to come if any interesting hands pop up in weeks to come, now its time to go have a look at the other posts.

Old 04-22-2003, 11:36 PM

Default Re: FINALLY the Rock has come back to the stud table...

Nice hit. You got all of your money in there as a significant favorite, and you knew he couldn't have you beaten. I checked it on twodimes.net, and was somewhat surprised to find that you were nearly a 2:1 favorite. As long as you are adequately bankrolled for the session, you should fully exploit an edge this large every time.
Old 04-23-2003, 11:58 AM

Agree with Andy that if bankroll is adequate putting the money in on the hand you described puts you at almost a 2:1 favorite and is a winning strategy. Only other factor being your self knowledge - i.e are you "steady" and will not let a big loss here affect your play negatively or at least will be smart enough take a few hands off to regroup if the loss should hit.

Now given all you saw at this point was his Ace ,what if he did not have the hand you descibed. What else could he possibly have and then what are the odds? Very few logical choices. They include:

Royal Flush Draw of AKQ - Much less likely he would go all in here, but there are some players around that would. Your odds ironically are almost identical as you are almost a 2:1 favorite here (Assuming his flush cards are all live)

Big live pocket pair - Say Queens - Actually this is his best shot, but hard to believe anyone is going all in here. But if he did you are about a 1.5:1 favorite.
Old 04-23-2003, 01:42 PM

i am being aprroximate but here goes. you are getting about 200 in equity from his 600 if you get him all in. against saving about 80 if you make a good play from info during the hand.
but you have to be sure he has aces and by that time you have or will get 200 or so of his money in anyway by playing the hand. so just for guesses you are really say getting 400 of his extra money in your way which is worth 120. so its 80 against 120. you can refine this alot but
this is very rough. but just is a way to think about it to gauge just how much you make when you exploit an edge.

glad to have our n.z friend back.
Old 04-23-2003, 03:27 PM

Default Hello,Mr. Peterson! I was thinking about U the other day...

Wondering if U "retired". [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
Was there a cap on the betting when u and your opponent kept on raising? [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
If NOT,U LOST a LOT of money by going ALLIN. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
ALWAYS have enough of a big stack in front of U to cover ALL BETS AND RAISES for the type of game u are in. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Frequently,I see players buy in short and win a small pot with a monster hand while second best hand rakes in a monster size pot. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
However,if u did not want to risk more than your current stack because u do not have the psychological bankroll to handle the possible loss,then u made the correct choice by NOT buying in for more chips. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
A few months ago, in one week,I had K's full and my opponent went ALLIN with A's full. I was prepared to EMPTY ALL of my remaining chips--about 1 1/2 racks with my hand. However,my opponent went ALLIN. During the SAME week but a few days later,I again had K's full and my opponent had quads. Again,I was ready to deplete the remaining rack in front of me.
Although I LOST both sessions,I felt like a winner that week because my opponents were the ones who really LOST against me by going ALLIN. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Since u were one of the favorites at your table,ALWAYS buy a large enough stack to cover ALL bets,raises,etc--unless u have a valid psychological reason for NOT doing so.
MY gut feeling is that u do not have a FINANCIAL reason for NOT doing so.
Again,very nice to have u back. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
I'm looking forward to reading your informative posts.
Happy pokering, [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
SittingBull
Old 04-23-2003, 06:26 PM

Default Re: Hello,Mr. Peterson! I was thinking about U the other day...

Not retired Sitting Bull, but the club where i used to play has gone under, so apart from what are hopefully going to be fortnightly games at a mates house, I have the internet and occasional trips to melbourne. The melbourne trips are great for poker, but I seem to spend a lot of money when I'm there making trips uneconomical.

As for buying in I bought in for $500 to a $5/10 game which I thought was plenty, won a bit, then failed to buy more when the stakes increased, primarily because the wealthy players tend to play better against me when I specifically show that I'm after their money.

It's quite a strange thing living in a place where there are multimillionaires playing in a game with students (I'm doing a PhD now), unemployed, and everyone in the middle. It's the price you pay for there being only one game in town.