Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2005, 03:11 AM

Default A two pair fold

3/6 Stud 8

A 2 brings it in, 1 fold, I raise/complete with all live (KK)J. A 5 calls and it's heads up to fourth. One ace is dead.

On fourth I catch a 3, opponent catches an ace. No one has any flushes working. Opponent bets, I raise, he 3-bets, I call.

On 5th street villain catches an ace, I catch a jack. He bets his (xx)5 A A, and I fold with (KK)J 3 J. Too weak-tight?
Old 09-06-2005, 05:21 AM

Default Re: A two pair fold

Fold on 5th seems standard to me, he is likely to have a pair of aces and 4 to a low, trip aces or aces up. Any of these hands you are a big dog to. I don't like the raise on 4th either, he has either got 4 to a low and redraws to beat your high or a pair of aces most of the time here and your raise is never going to drive him out so why do it?
Old 09-06-2005, 05:42 AM

definetly not raise 4th. You are either slightly behind or very behind.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:20 PM

I figured he most likely had a low draw although I wasn't sure, and figured there was a little value in raising. That could be off though, I'm going to run a few twodimes sims. Also though, I think raising on 4th made 5th street easier.
Old 09-06-2005, 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think raising on 4th made 5th street easier.

[/ QUOTE ]

5th is still a fold even if you didnt raise 4th. Youre either way behind for hi or barely ahead. And honestly Id have to guess that your opponnent has an A in the hole. But if youre ahead for hi now, then villain is one card from a low. So if your opponent catches any card from A to 8 on the next two cards, the best you can do is win half the pot. Not worth risking 3 big bets to see.

Aicirt
Old 09-06-2005, 08:17 PM

The raise on fourth was poor. The other guy could quite easily have an Ace in the hole. If he doesn't, he should have a four-card low, and a four-card low with an Ace in it is a small favorite over your Kings. I usually fold in this spot.

Fifth is a fold for similar reasons.
Old 09-06-2005, 11:56 PM

Thanks for the replies all... I'm still new to stud8 so I'm probably making many mistakes as I learn. Should I just be mucking the kings on 3rd or on 4th if I don't improve and an ace is out? If this is covered in Zee's book, I'm getting that (and 7CSFAP) in under a week.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Should I just be mucking the kings on 3rd or on 4th if I don't improve and an ace is out?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not necessarily. I wouldn't fold kings on 3rd unless I have a very very good reason to believe I am beat on the high and the pot is multi way. But when there are aces showing you must fold in stud/8 (i'd say 100% of the time, but i'm weak/tight)