Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2003, 08:32 PM

Default What do you think of the little old lady\'s play?

5- or 6-way action pre-flop. I think it's unraised.

Flop is K23, w/ two diamonds (King and Deuce). Little old lady I've never played w/ before bets. Two callers. Tricky, overaggressive button, who is a pretty bad player, raises. LOL calls. Other two call.

Turn is a medium-sized third diamond. Checked to the raiser. He bets. LOL calls. Other two fold.

River is a complete blank. Checked to the raiser. He bets. LOL checkraises. He says "What the hell? Do you actually have it?" She says "Of course I do! I have the best in the West!" He says "Come on, do you really have the best hand?" She says "Let me check," checks her cards, and says "Yes, I think I have the best possible hand!" And then she gives her nicest, biggest LOL smile. Raiser ponders for a second and says "OK, then I raise again." She quickly 4-bets, at which point the raiser calls.

She tables an unsurprising A3 of diamonds. Now, I had Qd, so the best the button could have had was Jd for the third nut.

After the showdown, the button muttered for a long, long time about how she couldn't have had a big flush because she just check-called the turn.

I thought she played this hand and her opponent phenomenally. Moral to the story? Be careful - that little old lady might be sneakier than you think.
Old 04-22-2003, 08:47 PM

Default Re: What do you think of the little old lady\'s play?

Reminds me of the time I got 6 bets on the river out of a guy. The board was JJ966, and I had J9. He had 99. And he went 6 bets on the river. Yes, he was steaming. No, I didn't do a very good job in my act, but the bets that I acquired were nice.

Yes, I knew he didn't have 66, and I was right.

~D
Old 04-22-2003, 09:15 PM

I had this hand come up this weekend. Guy open raises in MP and I 3-bet with AsJs in LP. BB calls. Flop is Ts 7s 3s, its checked to me I bet and only the BB calls. Turn is a brick, its checked to me, I check my hole cards and bet. He checkraises and I of course 3-bet. He calls. River is a blank as well and he checkraises me again - and $90 later turns over 9s8s. Ohhh kaaaay..
Old 04-22-2003, 10:35 PM

Default Oh, those tricky LOLs!

Plenty of experience with them when I used to play bridge.
Great post.
Old 04-22-2003, 11:23 PM

Who looks an old lady in the eye and raises out of spite. I know- poker is war but...come-on! Somebody should've slapped that dude. I guess she did -so to speak- Good for her!
Old 04-23-2003, 09:22 AM

Default very well played

against an overaggressive, bad button i would play it exactly the same. the river 3-bet was horrible.

rob
Old 04-23-2003, 03:29 PM

6 bets with that board? wtf was he steaming about? any J beats him...he's an idiot for going 6 bets. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I've got a similar story that I posted a while ago about a friend of mine who got 6 bets on the river from AK when he held 77, with a final board of AK7[7] [3]. Sometimes you've got to wonder what's going through their heads.........

hi han sur

-Diplomat
Old 04-23-2003, 04:13 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
wtf was he steaming about?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I think he was beginning to realize that he can't play poker, and was getting annoyed at himself.

He left thereafter, stuck about 3 racks.

~D