Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2005, 07:12 AM

Default Table selection in practice

Once you have found the ideal table by VPIP, how important is your actual position on the table as to whether you stay at the table?

For example, if you have annoying fish to your left who wont fold any blind, or cold calls your raises, basically hindering your efforts to isoloate one of 2 fishs acting first on your right?

Or just generally out of position against 2 weak fish, would you look for anothe rtable where you can be in the ideal position, or is the fact the table is 40vpip+ enough?

Ive been playing low limits where theres always fish, recently ive been playing $3/$6 and finding myself at awful tables, not giving selection any effort.

Today was my first day of actually seeking good tables and hunting fish. A permanent fixture in playing from now on.

Im not fully understanding the best method of tables selection,
I opened up 8 tables, then waited 10 mins, then using the PokerTracker filter highlighted the fish players, then I searched for as many as possible at once on Party search, then looked at which ones had a only 5 players at a table then sat in.

I did this playing only 2 tables, but for players playing 4 tables there must be an easier way, what am I missing?

I generally use Pokertracker Game time to highlight table stats.

If you use any softwares please explain them and link to where they can be attained.

Thanks
Old 09-04-2005, 07:28 AM

Default Re: Table selection in practice

Imho best way is to just sit down and play for a while then leave soon if the game is not good, generally speaking there is allways good games under 100 200.
Old 09-04-2005, 07:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Imho best way is to just sit down and play for a while then leave soon if the game is not good, generally speaking there is allways good games under 100 200.

[/ QUOTE ]

Trust me not all the $3/$6 games are good. Its not an issue of table selection, thats a must and Im sure will add to my winrate at 3/$6,

Players like sthief09 have great winrates largely helped by datamining and using that to the max so there at the best tables.

The issue is how to best go about table selection.

I just realised now that when I spotted the fish, at there tables were the longest waiting lists, so is this an easier approach, open them tables first and join the list, as well joining the lists of any in my buddy list?

Also in game I just played I had LAG to my left 80/23 called 2/3s of my raises and I wasnt hitting any flops or getting any action with only the loose passive fish at the table, should I have left purely because of this LAG.
Old 09-04-2005, 08:10 AM

What I generally do is keep my buddy list as a fish list (On party). I load the software up and search to see if any of them are online. If I find a few, I will open up the tables and let PokerTracker and GameTime+ run for about 10 minutes to see if a few other players on the table are juicy.

If so then I jump on the waiting list. It usually doesn't take too long.

If there's only 1 or 2 of my fish list players online then I will just open random tables and leave them for 10 mins and see the kind of stats I am getting.

Hope this helps. It is the way I have been datamining and selecting tables for months.
Old 09-04-2005, 08:17 AM

If you do too much table selection your hourly rate will go down.. after all that's the only thing that matter.